Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@RavenFan80 wrote:

Had the Orbi but finally gave in and purchased the google wifi almost 2 months ago. Zero drops, Equivalent speeds and less the price. No more “dad, the wifi isn’t working”. Very clear no brained here. Kudos Google!!

The showstopper for me with the Google offering is the lack of Ethernet ports.

Message 201 of 258
Grunkey
Aspirant

Is the RBW30 getting a 2.1.4 firmware update? My RBR40 received the update but not the satalites. They are still on v2.1.3.6.
Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 202 of 258
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

The firmware you mention for the 30's is the latest for them. The 30's firmware version is not the same as the 40's and 50's. Never was. Since 30's lack certain features (wired backhaul for one) they have somewhat different firmware.
Message 203 of 258

@Retired_Member wrote:

@setham wrote:

@ZoneMaster wrote:
In this day & age automatic updates are necessary. There are too many network threats to leave the possibility of a vulnerability being unpatched.

................... I rather do it when I feel confident that will not break my network.

when you figure this out be sure to let us all know.

It was pretty obvious that 2.1.4 had multicast problems within hours of its release. I did whatever I could to avoid updating, and was screwed over anyway. I agree that customers shouldn't be expected to make those kinds of judgements, but until Netgear has a better track record with firmware, the reward of always-up-to-date-firmware isn't worth the risk.

Message 204 of 258
ZoneMaster
Apprentice

You miss my main point: NONE OF THESE ISSUES WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF NG DID THOROUGH REGRESSION TESTING

I am not defending NG. Just saying that NG needs to put more emphasis on RELIABLE upgrades. I have worked for decades in the software industry, & have seen how solid, reliable changes get made & rolled out:

1. Programmers change & test their code
  2. An independant quality control group performs tests:
    1. Test that the changes work & meet specifications
    2. Regression testing
  3. The tested code is pushed to the end users

Regression Testing is vitally important. It validates that any new changes don't break existing functionality. NG's failure to properly test their FW is the main problem.

Also, NG's "90 day & then you pay" support is terrible! Heck, Apple (which so many love to compain about) still lets you contact them after 90 days & has a knowledge base for questions & error reports. NH has a paywall & community support!

I have a love/hate relationship with my ORBI. I bought it when Costco first offered them at a discount, & when my AirPort Express died. The thoroughput and coverage were beyond my highest expectations, but repeated FW mistakes have been vexing:

1. 1.?.?.?? Initial FW = Great performance!!!
  2. 2.0.0.74 Nice new administrative features, but TRASHY performance (drop outes etc)
  3. 2.?.?.?? They fixed the issues with 2.0.0.74
  4. 2.1.4.10 Lost mDNS/Bonjour/AirPrint
  5. 2.1.?.?? TBD. Waiting for the next working version

However, I want automatic updates, because I want fixes ASAP. I don't want to spend half my life scanning for the "perfect" FW version. The only way to get NG to improve their FW process is NOT to complain here... Let's all start sending copies of these complaints to Consumer Reports & the tech media (PC & Mac magazines).

That being said, I will never recommend any NG product to anyone.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 205 of 258
setham
Star

@Retired_Member wrote:

@setham wrote:

@ZoneMaster wrote:
In this day & age automatic updates are necessary. There are too many network threats to leave the possibility of a vulnerability being unpatched.

................... I rather do it when I feel confident that will not break my network.

when you figure this out be sure to let us all know.

No need to wait. I already figured it out for my LAN. It is stable and I rather do not let the Orbis auto-upgrade

Message 206 of 258
netadmn
Apprentice

@setham wrote:

@ZoneMaster wrote:

I agree that an auto-update option should/must be enabled by default but with an option of turning it off.

Be smart about it. Roll out slowly to your users so you can get some feedback AFTER regression testing is complete in house. Then schedule the update at a time that is less likely to be busy for most users... say 3AM. I still think the idea of flashing the Orbi LEDs a color/sequence to notify/warn those users would be appropriate. Then they would at least know since these things sit out in plain view. My samsung smarthings hub automatically updates but they generally email me to let me know it's happening and what to expect. 

I guess I'm next going to figure out what update servers samsung uses for thier firmware updates and just block them at my firewall.

Message 207 of 258
netadmn
Apprentice

@netadmn wrote:

I guess I'm next going to figure out what update servers netgear uses for thier firmware updates and just block them at my firewall. (fixed samsung -> netgear)

image.png
So it looks like updates1.netgear.com is the domain to block via your favorite dns sinkhole. I just created an alias to point to my pfblockerng alias in pfsense. Easy enough to disable/enable. For everyone else... look into something like 
pihole to create your own dns block list. Or, do a nslookup on that domain and create a static route in Orib to a non existent next hop(s)... Problem with this approach is those IPs can and may change often depending on where you are if its a cdn.

updates1.netgear.comupdates1.netgear.com

Message 208 of 258
netadmn
Apprentice

Won't work for me since I'm AP mode but it should work for those in router mode... if you can ping updates1.netgear.com but not after... you know it worked. Trying to FTP to those addresses after (using cli/filezilla) should fail.

image.png

Message 209 of 258
netadmn
Apprentice

I can see my images when I'm logged in but not when I browse a public page...  so here is what I uploaded in case you can't see the images. 

https://imgur.com/a/DIoPNRd

Message 210 of 258
jordi_c
Initiate

My Orbi RBK50 system running 2.1.4.10 has been inexplicably rock solid for 2+ days.  This comes after a couple of weeks fighting random reboots, trying to revert to earlier firmware versions but failing due to auto updates (even when trying to block them by editing the config via telnet), and reverting to factory settings.  The last automatic update occurred overnight while the router was running firmware version 2.1.2.18.  This was not the first time such an update had occurred against my will.  My Orbi had auto updated a few times previously but was never stable.

My Orbi is connected to a cable modem and is running in router mode.  I have sixteen devices on my network, three of which are connecting to a bridged AP.  Aside from customizing the WiFi SSIDs and changing the network subnet, I have made no changes to the default config.  What could have changed?

Message 211 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Try blocking ports 443 and 20-21 to the routers IP address.

@netadmn wrote:

Won't work for me since I'm AP mode but it should work for those in router mode... if you can ping updates1.netgear.com but not after... you know it worked. Trying to FTP to those addresses after (using cli/filezilla) should fail.

image.png

Message 212 of 258
timch
Luminary

Well I have been up for 11 days on 2.1.4 now and it is rock solid.  Running 1 wireless sat and 1 wired. Speed and reliability is great.  I am in AP mode and have mu mimo, daisy chaining, fast roaming all enabled. 

Message 213 of 258
tmrinhance
Aspirant

Can i load 2.1.4 on a Orbi Pro? 

Message 214 of 258
wildsubnet
Apprentice

Add me to the chorus of "this update stinks". Rebooting every 8-10 hours. I'd say like clockwork, but not quite. Looking back at my emailed log files, I can see they stopped on the same date the update rolled out, meaning they never had time to fill up. Due to travel I didn't really notice until now, but sure looks like it's been reboot-a-palooza. Found the commands to turn off auto-update and rolled back 2.1.3.4.

I'm a proponent of auto-updating consumer stuff, I think it is important and more secure, but these busted updates are much worse than a potentially insecure system. Netgear should disable auto-update until they get better regression testing in place. Also, while you're at it it'd be nice to be able to set SSID on 2.4g and 5g bands separately in the UI rather than having to telnet into the box (talk about NOT secure, enabling telnet to fully configure the box is about as NOT secure as it gets...)

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 215 of 258
steve8411
Apprentice

Add me to the list of continued failure with Apple products...

RBR50 ... while the beta was actually improved, the production release is actually worse.

My iPad almost never gets internet (even though its connected to Wifi) after waking up ....

Another disappointment.   

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 216 of 258
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@steve8411 wrote:

Add me to the list of continued failure with Apple products...

RBR50 ... while the beta was actually improved, the production release is actually worse.

My iPad almost never gets internet (even though its connected to Wifi) after waking up ....

Another disappointment.   

That is so weird. We have 2 iPads & 2 iPhones in my household, and they all connect perfectly every time. Trust me, I'd be hearing about it from my wife if she couldn't get Internet. I'm running V2.1.4.10 with wired backhaul.

It wasn't easy to get everything working. I did a very slow step-by-step, basically
1. Shut down modem, router, and satellites.
2. Power up modem, wait for it to settle to steady state seeing Internet.
3. Power up router, wait for it to slowly settle to steady state. Verify it's working with wired & wifi devices.
4. Power up 1 satellite, wait for it to slowly settle to steady state. Verify it's working with wired & wifi devices.
5. Power up any remaining satellites 1 at a time.

I don't know why, but the Orbi router seems to want the modem freshly booted before turning on the Orbi. The instructions imply that. Good luck.

Message 217 of 258
Oceanwaves
Star

I was also hit by the FW update to 2.1.4.10 last week. Luckily one day after I returned from holidays, as the whole network was down in the morning. Thanks to this forum I was able to return to 2.1.2.18 and disable automatic updates (as described here). However, today (exactly one week later) the same happened again: network down, AP and satellite are on 2.1.4.10  Smiley Sad.

I'm using the RBK20 and I need Ethernet backhaul and daisy chain. AP ist placed on second floor and satellite on first floor, between them just the ceiling. But it is made of armored concrete. I get a bad WiFi connection at 2.4 GHz without Ethernet, if AP and satellite connect to each other at all. And I have two simple switches between AP and satellite, so I need daisy chain option, too. The RBR20 has to be in AP mode as I have cable internet and the modem is integrated into the ISPs router (AVM Fritzbox 6490, I'm from Germany).

I've downgraded AP and satellite to 2.1.2.18 again and checked the auto update options on the RBR20, but they are all still set to zero:

root@RBR20:/# nvram show | grep -E "orbi_auto_upgrade|auto_check_for_upgrade|auto_update"
orbi_auto_upgrade=13064382
auto_update=0
auto_check_for_upgrade=0

So everything looks good, nevertheless the RBR20 automatically updated to 2.1.4.10 Smiley Sad.

Message 218 of 258
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

I don’t understand “I need Ethernet backhaul and daisy chain.”

My understanding is that daisy chain allows satellites to talk to each other WIRELESSLY without going through the router. If the sats are wired, they already have direct connectivity to the entire LAN.

Am I misunderstanding?

Message 219 of 258
Oceanwaves
Star

When I set up the RBR20 and the RBS20 using Ethernet backhaul I found this description on Reddit. It is my understanding that Daisy Chain is required because there are two switches between AP and satellite. When I disable Daisy Chain the satellite tries WiFi backhaul although it is wired.

Message 220 of 258
Oceanwaves
Star

Update: Exactly 1 hour after downgrading RBR20 and RBS20 to 2.1.2.18 the router was updated to 2.1.4.10 again Smiley Frustrated. I disabled Daisy Chain and both Orbis rebooted (satellite was still on 2.1.2.18). The status page showed "wired" and the backhaul status switched between "Connected" and "Bad". A few minutes later the satellite was automatically updated to 2.1.4.10, too.

Network was down again.

That's it. I need my LAN as I'm working from Home Office today. I switched the Orbis off and activated the WiFi on my ISP's router again.

Does anybody know whether the Google WiFi or Ubiquiti support Ethernet backhaul and AP mode for the router?

Message 221 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try a reboot of the system or full factory reset and set up from scratch after it updated to v2.1.4.10?

@Oceanwaves wrote:

Update: Exactly 1 hour after downgrading RBR20 and RBS20 to 2.1.2.18 the router was updated to 2.1.4.10 again Smiley Frustrated. I disabled Daisy Chain and both Orbis rebooted (satellite was still on 2.1.2.18). The status page showed "wired" and the backhaul status switched between "Connected" and "Bad". A few minutes later the satellite was automatically updated to 2.1.4.10, too.

Network was down again.

That's it. I need my LAN as I'm working from Home Office today. I switched the Orbis off and activated the WiFi on my ISP's router again.

Does anybody know whether the Google WiFi or Ubiquiti support Ethernet backhaul and AP mode for the router?

Message 222 of 258
Oceanwaves
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you try a reboot of the system or full factory reset and set up from scratch after it updated to v2.1.4.10?

Yes, that didn't help. As soon as I plug in the Ethernet cable into the AP or the satellite, the network ist down. UPS looses connection to NAS, PC looses internet connection and NAS connection and so on.

However, did another try with 2.1.2.18 as I got a hint for another nvram option:

nvram set orbi_auto_upg=0

This was still set =1, so at least for the RBR20 there are 4 options that have to be set.

Let's see if this helps to fix the auto update. And then wait fo a working FW.

Message 223 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

How long are you waiting after you plug in the ethernet cable? 5 minutes is needed for the system to reconfigure for wired back haul. Do you get a BLUE LED on the satellite?

Disable Daisy Chain as well.

Is there a network switch in between the router and satellite? If so, whats the Mfr and model of the switch?

Reivew this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/I-found-a-Connection-issue-Resolution-for-wired-backhaul/m-p/1...

Message 224 of 258
Oceanwaves
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How long are you waiting after you plug in the ethernet cable? 5 minutes is needed for the system to reconfigure for wired back haul. Do you get a BLUE LED on the satellite?

Disable Daisy Chain as well.

Is there a network switch in between the router and satellite? If so, whats the Mfr and model of the switch?

Reivew this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/I-found-a-Connection-issue-Resolution-for-wired-backhaul/m-p/1...

Well, when I downgraded to 2.1.2.18 again yesterday I followed that procedure. I started the satellite without ethernet and let it run for 15-20 minutes. After that time the light was off. But I usually get a bad connection at 2.4 GHz with WiFi backhaul because of an armored-concrete ceiling. The distance between AP and satellite is around 2 meters. The problem is the ceiling. That's why I have a CAT7 cable between 1st and 2nd floor.

I tried that procedure with 2.1.4.10 also, but as soon as I plug in the ethernet cable my network goes down within 30 seconds. The lights on the switches are flashing in sync and I notice a lot of package drops when doing a ping.

I also disabled Daisy Chain, Beamforming, MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming, which didn't help.

I have 2 switches between RBR and RBS20. They are both D-Links (DGS-108, 8 ports 1 GBit simple switches).

As both devices are currently running 2.1.2.18 and everything seems stable, I will wait for a new FW before doing more tests. Only drawback at the moment is that the "Attached devices" page looks strange. For example it says that the the satellite is connected at 5 GHz and the backhaule status is bad (in fact it's connected to ethernet). And my Android phone is connected by wire to the satellite. But I'm next to the router and there's definitely no cable coming out of the phone... The devices list was ok before the last automatic update to 2.1.4.10 yesterday.

Message 225 of 258
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7