Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS MR 2.1 issues

tagteam
Virtuoso

@quentinwrote:

How to download firmware MR 2.1 ?

https://www.netgear.com/support/download/

Message 26 of 141
Stars_fan
Aspirant

Can anyone confirm if the current 2.0 firmware doesn't break with a special character in the psk?

I've noticed the wireless speeds (time machine, plex & all internal connections) seem to be slower on 2.1

Message 27 of 141
Stars_fan
Aspirant

I attached a pic of my setup when my orbi was rebooting.  Maybe that's your problem too ...

L3nHu.jpg

Message 28 of 141
KU1234
Guide

I just packed up my orbi in its coffin box. It is going back.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 29 of 141
MattHopkins
Guide

I am having this problem and it is driving me nuts!  I have recommended the Orbi system to so many people and despite a rocky start with poor firmware testing, it has been rock solid for a good 6 months or more. But now, my devices a dropping constantly. Your post says contact support for a solution - can I have that please because my network is currently operating at 20%. 

Thanks

Message 30 of 141
bardiferously
Aspirant

This thread mentioned Firmware 2.1.1.18 and what I found yesterday was 2.1.1.16; does this mean that Netgear feels that this"prior version" is more stable than the 2.1.1.18?
Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 31 of 141
JCinNC
Guide

After 6 hours yesterday of factory resets and testing I can state without a fact that a password of ALL numbers will break your security/DHCP server.

I downgraded my firmware to 2.0.1.4 and forgot to change the password.  When I went in to set it to our "standard" password of all numbers I immediately had an issue connecting again.  Over the next couple of hours I went through several factory resets and the end result was the same.

Finally, I performed a factory reset and left the ORBI SSID and PASSWORD.  The unit was stable for an hour so I logged in and changed the SSID to our SSID leaving the default ORBI password.  The unit was stable for an hour so I then logged in and changed the password to an 8 number one.  Immediately I had issues.  I connected to the router with an ethernet cable and the DHCP server had issues assigning me an IP.  After approximately 5 minutes I received one and changed the PASSWORD to a mix of alpha numeric characters.  It started working when it updated the router and propogated to the satellite. 

It has now been 12 hours with no issues of connecting, no drops, and no speed issues.  I now have to go around and update 50+ devices (cameras, remotes, tablets, thermostats, etc) today.

Hope this helps someone else not waste hours and hours chasing an issue that should not be there.  This was not an issue in 2.2.18.

JC

Message 32 of 141
JCinNC
Guide

I have a special character in my new password and it is working fine on 2.0.1.4

Message 33 of 141
johnysnydz
Tutor

Glad i found these pages.  Thought i was going nuts.  Really wish i could return these units and get something stable as i'm running a business at my home and my router is in the basement.  So everytime it fusses i have to go down 2 flights of stairs and restart the dang thing.  

Have been using Netgear products for YEARS and never encountered a product of theirs so inept at it's core function. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 34 of 141
JCinNC
Guide

Do the downgrade.  It seems to be solid.  We use the wifi not only for internet but also for our wireless Dish Joey's so no TV when it goes down too.

Message 35 of 141
johnysnydz
Tutor

I am relying on ethernet backhaul.  I'm assuming the downgrade doesnt support that?  I have a 3 story house that i purchased as a new construction.  I specifically ran wiring in the house for a mesh wifi system.  

Message 36 of 141
JCinNC
Guide

Can you put the router on the middle floor and then a satellite above and a satellite below?  Our lake house is 3 stories and that is what I did there to avoid wired backhaul.

Since you have it wired, come out of your modem, etc and use the ethernet to go to the middle floor location and place the ORBi router there plugging the ethernet into the yellow WAN port.  Then bring the two satellites in the same room and make sure they connect wirelessly.  Once that is done take them to floor 3 and floor 1 and verify connection in the connected devices screen on the router.  Should work fine.

JC

Message 37 of 141
johnysnydz
Tutor

Ugh...  i respect your suggestion and would have to seriously get to my wits end for that.  lol... You are correct in that i COULD do that with my wiring config.   I spent over a grand pre wiring my house for ethernet and that would be scrapping all of that. 

Message 38 of 141
JCinNC
Guide

Not scrapping, just patching

Once they fix the issues and backhaul becomes available you can restore your configuration.  Unfortunately I can tell you that you will get to your wits end with this.  I have been chasing it for a couple of months and I owned a solutions intergration company for 20 years and chose this solution so that I wouldn't have to deal with fixing wireless issues at home when they occurred.  Our commercial Ubiquiti systems never had these issues but I was the only one in the home that could address the issue.

It's not ideal but it will save you hours of frustration. 

GOOD LUCK

JC

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 39 of 141
johnysnydz
Tutor

I just realized this wouldnt work for me as I am running a POE VOIP phone system so i need the ethernet lines.  This sucks.  I have been an SMB IT guy my entire life and chose this system as i thought it would give me bulletproof wifi in my house.  

Message 40 of 141
Aquatechie
Tutor

As instructed when I first set up the Orbi a week ago, my base station was upgraded to Firmware version 2.1.2.18; I unplugged and plugged the 2 satellites (numerous times) and they stiill maintain their Firmware versions at 2.1.2.2. The result of the upgrade has caused my Apple TV (A1427) to no longer see the wifi signal - even with a satellite installed inches away. Suggestions?
Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 41 of 141
JCinNC
Guide

bring them into the same room as the router.  Once on the correct version return them to their original location.  NG tech support had me do that yesterday when we were trouble shooting the password/security/DHCP issue and it helped.

I personally would manually downgrade all three devices to 2.0.1.74

Message 42 of 141
webminster
Luminary

@bardiferouslywrote:
This thread mentioned Firmware 2.1.1.18 and what I found yesterday was 2.1.1.16; does this mean that Netgear feels that this"prior version" is more stable than the 2.1.1.18?

Maybe a lot of typos by people here, but to be clear on version numbers:

* 2.1.1.16 - Late December autoupdate release.  Lots of problems.  Pulled by Netgear before Christmas.

2.1.2.18 - January autoupdate release.   Better but lots of problems for some.  Pulled by Netgear a week or so ago.

2.0.1.4 - Current "best" release for autoupdates.  Seemingly similar to 2.0.0.74, but may include the Krack fix and a fix for memory leak on satellites.

Yes. Netgear is effectively saying the 2.0.1.4 version is currently their best release.

FWIW, 2.0.1.4 seems better than the others I've tried thus far.  

Message 43 of 141
wildhorse
Star

I would recommend to downgrade only if you have issues with the latest. Older version could have other problems.

Its a pitty Netgear don't release firmware source code for Orbi under GPL license or some custom very restricted license, community would fix these problems for them.

Message 44 of 141
Aquatechie
Tutor

You're correct - I meant to say that my base station is currently using Firmware version 2.1.2.18 - and my 2 satellites are at v2.1.2.2.

Sounds like I need to downgrade all three - how do I do this? My iPhone app apparently only handles upgrades.

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 45 of 141
webminster
Luminary

Follow the procedure in the release notes for the version you want, using the Web UI of the satellites and router.  Satellites before router.  For instance:

https://kb.netgear.com/000054791/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-0-1-4

Message 46 of 141
austoonz
Guide

No issues for me. My RBR50 auto updated to V2.1.2.18, my RBS50 Satellite did not, so its still running V2.0.0.74. 

Message 47 of 141
st_shaw
Master

@johnysnydz wrote:

I am relying on ethernet backhaul.  I'm assuming the downgrade doesnt support that?  I have a 3 story house that i purchased as a new construction.  I specifically ran wiring in the house for a mesh wifi system.  

@johnysnydz  If you ran wiring throughout the house, then a "mesh" wifi system isn't the best solution.  The wiring makes a "mesh" system unnecessary. A set of wired access points would be a far better solution, and can be had for less money.  Wired APs will provide far better coverage, better throughput, better configuability, and better compatibility with other wireless devices nearby.

Message 48 of 141
jinishans
Aspirant

I tried downgrading 2.0.1.4 but it keeps disconnecting and I reverted back to latest version again.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 49 of 141
Divern2deep
Tutor

Re: OrbiOS MR 2.1 issues NETGEAR ORBI TEAM: YOU CAN FIX THIS!

This system works fantastic when it works!  Very fast!  After setting my new RBK50 system up and crossing my fingers with the firmware update to 2.1.1.16 in order to access Circle functionality for my kids, the router worked for a day and then stopped providing a wireless signal, would lose connection with the satellite, or would continuously reboot multiple times throughout the day on its own.  Customer support was no help in correcting these issues with their directed reboots, repeating initial setups, changing settings, etc.  Luckily firmware update 2.1.1.18 came out and I was able to upgrade and have been running smoothly ever since, including Disney Circle, which is working properly (NOTE NETGEAR ENGINEER: I BELIEVE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN MAINTAINING STABILITY FOR ME WAS THAT I KEPT THE FACTORY DEFAULT ROUTER NAME, SATELLITE NAME, WIRELESS USER ID AND PASSWORD RATHER THAN CUSTOMIZING THESE SETTINGS LIKE I HAD IN ALL THE PAST TROUBLING ORBI INSTALLATIONS/FIRMWARE UPGRADES).  I really have little to no confidence in doing any upgrades to another firmware "branch" 2.0.1.4, for fear of another fiasco and too much down time.  

TO ORBI USERS READING THIS: I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT UPGRADING YOUR ORBI FIRMWARE PAST 2.1.1.18 UNTIL SUFFICIENT USER REVIEWS PROVE FUTURE FIRMWARE UPGRADES ARE STABLE, OR NETGEAR ISSUES A NETWORK SECURITY FIX MAKING AN UPGRADE ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, OR NETGEAR PROVIDES ORBI USB PORT-EXTERNAL DRIVE FUNCTIONALITY IN AN UPGRADE AND YOU WANT TO TAKE THE RISK.

Now I have begun trying to add an external USB drive to my ORBI USB port and network to no avail.  After calling, Netgear's customer service, they stated Netgear has future plans to create that USB Port functionality in a firmware/software upgrade, but it does not exist yet.

To Netgear employees: I am cheering for you.  You can fix these ORBI stability and functionality issues and turn it around by rolling up your sleeves, working as a team, and really testing your upgrades inside and out before issuing them, and better communicating fixes between the engineering dept. and customer support call centers to get precise solutions out to the agents responding to customers.  The Customer service agents I spoke with had no knowledge of the problems or meritable solutions with ORBI and led me down the same standard troubleshooting steps I had done myself.  Other examples of ineffective communications are in the post above when you state functionality like Ethernet Backhaul and Circle are being removed in the lates upgrade with no info on when we as users can expect to regain these in future upgrades going down the new upgrade "branch" of version 2.0.1.4, (i.e. state that we will have all functionality regained by version 2.0.1.5.)  For that matter, why did you restart your ugrade number sequence from 2.1.1.18 to 2.0.1.4. (This creates all kinds of confusion for us users, another example of ineffective communication)? FINALLY, WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO CREATE USB PORT FUNCTIONALITY ON MY ORBI TO CONNECT MY EXTERNAL DRIVES UP TO MY NETWORK?  It was very disappointing to find out after the purchase that only a printer can be hooked up, which is not in line with the marketing material.  I know you folks can do better than this based on all of the great products and the cherished brand you have built over the years. Now is the time to show us customers what your made of, your determination, your drive, and your passion to get it right!

Message 50 of 141
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7