Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OrbiRBR 50 satellites

RoadGlide101
Aspirant

OrbiRBR 50 satellites

I have a RBR50 and we moved to a new much larger home.  It is old and has some plaster and lathe walls.  How many satellites can i add on to the router and can a satellite work from another so they are daisy chained via wireless or do they all have to connect to the main router?  Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: OrbiRBR 50 satellites

If you have the RBR50 router, the satellites which mesh "best" with it are the RBS50.  ANY Orbi satellite will function with any Orbi router.  The "50" series have more powerful radios and a higher speed WiFi backhaul than the others.  If a lower speed satellite is paired with the RBR50, the backhaul speed will drop to the speed of the satellite.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

People have reported having 5 or 6 satellites attached to an Orbi.

Satellites can connect directly to the router, or they can "Daisy Chain" off of an existing satellite.  Naturally, each "hop" introduces lag and consumer bandwidth.

In addition, satellites can be connected to the router, or to each other using ethernet cables, i.e. "wired".

I installed an Orbi in a two story 1920's house with lath and plaster walls & ceilings.  One router, two satellites.  Works great.  As in many cases, the internet feed came in downstairs in one corner and a single router did not penetrate to the opposite corner (brick chimney didn't help) nor did it reach upstairs across the building.  So, router in the front corner, satellite 1 in the back of the house, satellite 2 upstairs about 30 ft. from the router.  Blazing speed throughout the entire house.

Message 2 of 4
RoadGlide101
Aspirant

Excellent!  What model is the satellites?

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

If you have the RBR50 router, the satellites which mesh "best" with it are the RBS50.  ANY Orbi satellite will function with any Orbi router.  The "50" series have more powerful radios and a higher speed WiFi backhaul than the others.  If a lower speed satellite is paired with the RBR50, the backhaul speed will drop to the speed of the satellite.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7