Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbie guest network - no internet!

ricarios
Tutor

Orbie guest network - no internet!

When selecting the guest may view the internal network, the internet works. But if unselecting (which actually should be) there is no internet connection 😞

Router-Firmware V1.8.0.6

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
MrSpecialK
Aspirant

I am going to take a stab at it and guess that you are using the Orbi in Access Point mode.  I am, and I noted the same behavior.

BTW, mine are new and I noted that the main unit updated to the new firmware but the sat's wouldn't.

The firmware on the Sat's was 1.2 something.  I had to manually update the Sat's to 1.5.0.12.  When that was complete the host unit updated the Sat's to the new 1.8.0.6 as expected.  It is my supposition that the Sat's need a firmware update to 1.4 or greater before the Sat's can be updated by the host Orbi.  The updates have been working just fine (Access Point mode) on the Host and Sat's

Regards

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 6
ricarios
Tutor

Yes, the Orbis are in Access Point mode. Forgot to mention that.

Message 3 of 6
rhester72
Virtuoso

Before I bother with the latest update, is it correct that guest in AP mode still doesn't work?  If not, going to sit this update out.

Rodney

Message 4 of 6
MrSpecialK
Aspirant

I am guessing from prior experience, that turning off access to the local network will prevent your traffic from reaching the internet gateway (router) where your broadband is provisioned..  Hence, turning off guest access to the local network will not allow trafic to the gateway to work.  I have not investigated whether or not any port forwarding or DMZ is available.  I doubt it.

Regards

Message 5 of 6
MrSpecialK
Aspirant

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this behavior is a side result of using the Orbi as an access point.  It is not an issue if used as a router.  And the update did not change this situation.  You can send a support request in, but I think you are going to get essentially the same answer.

Regards

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7