Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbing RBR 50 wired devices not working

cjc182
Aspirant

Orbing RBR 50 wired devices not working

I have a two-week old Orbi RBR 50 connected to a modem.

The Orbri is connected to a D-Link switch which leads to several wired devices (DirectTv box, Apple tv boxes)

After having to discnnect the Orbi to move the power cord, the wired devices no longer have a connection.

The wirelss conections work fine.

Can anyone siggest some troubleshooting steps?

The switch seems to be working fine and is fairly new.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

Re: Orbing RBR 50 wired devices not working

Contunued...

The wired devices are on the "allowed devices"list. They just are not connecting.

Message 2 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

Maybe while moving the Orbi around, the ethernet cable came loose in the jack (either the Orbi end or the switch end)?

What about plugging one of the devices directly into the Orbi in place of the switch?

Does the switch have tiny LED's showing connection status and traffic?  If so, what does it show on the jack connected to the Orbi?

(It is SO annoying that Netgear did not include those tiny LED's on the ethernet jacks that indicate status and traffic).

Message 3 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

All the ethernet cables are secure as are the power cords.

All flash green when connected.

I treid connecting an ethernet cable as directly to the Orbi as I could, but no change. Still no connection.

Message 4 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

Do you use the Orbi web interface or the Orbi "app"?

Message 5 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

and, Access Control is on or off?

Message 6 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

I use the web primarily but also the app.
Message 7 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

Access control is on.

Message 8 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, how about this:  Turn Access Control off and see what happens.  I am not an expert on Access Control (I actually do not use it except when trying to answer questions on the forum, and then I immediately turn it back off again.)

I seem to remember a post a couple of weeks ago where someone had used the "app" briefly and it "paused" a bunch of devices.  I know so little about the "app" that I honestly have no idea what "pause" means.  If it meant "block" surely they would have said block.  Can you provide a screen shot where it shows the devices on the Allowed list?

Message 9 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

I disabled "Turn on Acess Control" on the web interface.

Attached are the screen shots. 

Message 10 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

I am running out of ideas.  On the Orbi web interface, the Advanced Tab, when I click on "Show Statistics", I get a display like this:

Stats.PNG

Notice that LAN1, LAN2, LAN3 are the Orbi ports showing connections at 1000mb, 1000mb, and 100mb.  If I disconnect one of the cables, that LAN port will change to "Link Down".  LAN1 is closest to the WAN port and LAN3 is farthest from the WAN port.  What does your Orbi report for the LAN ports?

Message 11 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

Hi, the report is attched (pdf).

Message 12 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

great.  which port is the switch connected to?

Message 13 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

I have cables going to two switches ( I should combine them into one switch with more ports).

The cables going to the switches are attached to the first two Ethernet ports of the Orbi.

Message 14 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

From this, it appears that the Orbi was rebooted about 6 minutes ago, and it shows packets going to and from both switches.  How these devices could not be "connected" when they were before is a mystery to me.

Maybe someone with more skill than I have has an idea.  @ekhalil , any ideas?

Message 15 of 37
ekhalil
Master

The fact that wireless devices seem ok while you only have issues with wired devices makes me think that this has to do with the network routing. Wireless devices are "provisioned" with the Orbi as a gateway during the wireless attached procedure which is not the case for wired devices which might strugle in case there is more than one router (and DHCP server) in the network.

What ISP modem/router are you using (make and model please)?

A simple way to check routing is to use the tracert command. Please use any computer attached to Orbi (wired or wireless) and start the Command Prompt (Terminal) and issue the command tracert 8.8.8.8 (use traceroute if using a Termial in MacOS). Please copy and paste the result you get here.

Message 16 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

Hi, The modem is: Xfinity Arris, TG862.

The traceroute report is attached.

Thanks.

Message 17 of 37
ekhalil
Master

@cjc182 wrote:

Hi, The modem is: Xfinity Arris, TG862.

The traceroute report is attached.

Thanks.

Thanks, the tracerouute output looks ok, but the TG862 is a router and needs to be bridged.

Please follow the instructions in the article below to bridge the Arris modem:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Message 18 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

@cjc182 wrote:

I have cables going to two switches ( I should combine them into one switch with more ports).

The cables going to the switches are attached to the first two Ethernet ports of the Orbi.

Message 19 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

Hi, The bridge mode is enabled (see attached).

Message 20 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

I have two switches:

1- Netgear FS 105

2- D-Link DSG 105

Message 21 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

Correction:

The second switch is a D-Link DGS 105.

Message 22 of 37
ekhalil
Master

- Do you know if wired devices get IP addresses?
- Can you please test to reserve IP addresses in Orbi for wired devices and see if behavior will change
Message 23 of 37
cjc182
Aspirant

I looked at the Apple TV and saw it had an IP address. I have not checked the other devices

How do I "test to reserve IP addresses in Orbi for wired devices?"

Message 24 of 37
ekhalil
Master

1. Is the IP address that the Apple TV got in the same range as those for other wireless devices. If you don’t know please give us the address that the Apple TV has and IP addresses for couple of wireless devices.
2. You can reserve an IP address for e.g. the wired Apple TV using the web GUI on >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> LAN >> then you click on add. You need to know the MAC address of the LAN port for the Apple TV to be able to do that.
Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7