Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbir will not connect to a wired connection

dobiegillis
Aspirant

Orbir will not connect to a wired connection

I installed an Orbi system replacing an Asus router. The Wi-Fi is blazing fast, but any wired device does not get an internet connection. My home is Cat 6 wired throughout and I use 2 Ethernet switches plugged into the router to provide a wired connection. After spending 3 hours with Netgear support they had me add a static ip to a wired PC, but that failed to resolve the issue. Support had me return the unit thinking it was a hardware problem, but after setting up the new Orbi the same issue still is present. After reverting back I am getting a 169… IP. The wired devices work fine if I take the Orbi out of the equation and plug a switch directly into the modem.  Please help!

Set up: ISP-Charter -- Modem- Cisco DPC3010- Router- Orbi (RBK500) - Asus 8 port Gigabit Switch

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
dobiegillis
Aspirant

Betreff: Orbir will not connect to a wired connection

Solved: For whatever reson while troubleshooting the Orbi with tech suppport we changed the MTU Size to 1500 and it started working. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
rhester72
Virtuoso

Who do you want handing out the IP ranges?  If the modem is doing it, is the Orbi in AP mode?

169.x.x.x addresses indicate that DHCP is failing.  If the Asus switch is a 'smart' switch, do you have VLANs, ACLs, or similar configured that would be blocking DHCP requests (or replies) from the modem or router?

Whatever the problem is, I concur, it's not a hardware issue - it's a configuration one.

Rodney

Message 2 of 8
dobiegillis
Aspirant

Forgive my ignorance on the topic. I know enough to get me in trouble... The Orbi is not in AP mode. As to your first question i have no clue. I do not beleive the swith is a smart switch. The model is linked here: link. Historically I simply plugged and played with the wired connections so the issue is definatly beyond my netwoirking IQ.

Message 3 of 8
rhester72
Virtuoso

OK...so which device is actually acting as the router (i.e. handing out IP addresses), the modem or the Orbi?

Rodney

Message 4 of 8
myblade
Tutor

So you plugged the modem into the WAN / Internet port on the router? If yes, this is fine.

Orbi should run in router mode. Please have a look at the DHCP settings.

An IP like 169... shows you that the network interface got no DHCP settings from whatever on the network should supply them. In this setup the Orbi router should supply the settings.

Another simple question. How did you connect the switch? Did you use only 1 cable to connect it to orbi?

Message 5 of 8
dobiegillis
Aspirant

Solved: For whatever reson while troubleshooting the Orbi with tech suppport we changed the MTU Size to 1500 and it started working. 

Message 6 of 8
myblade
Tutor

Do you know the setting of MTU size before the change? 1500 is pretty standard for normal Ethernet.

Message 7 of 8
dobiegillis
Aspirant

If I recall it was at a default of 1800. I could be wrong I have slept since then. 🙂

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7