Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbit Guest Network Always at 2.4Ghz

Gater
Follower

Orbit Guest Network Always at 2.4Ghz

There don't seem to be any options to set this, but my guest Network forces everyone to 2.4Ghz. There also doesn't appear to be a way to set up two guest networks (2.4/5). The standard network allows devices to choose, the issue is with the guest Network. Is there a solution?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Noticed the same thing.

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Gater wrote:
There don't seem to be any options to set this, but my guest Network forces everyone to 2.4Ghz. There also doesn't appear to be a way to set up two guest networks (2.4/5). The standard network allows devices to choose, the issue is with the guest Network. Is there a solution?

My experience does not match yours.  I turned on the Orbi guest network and "broadcast SSID".  My Lenovo laptop immediately connected to the Orbi at 5G.  I will charge the battery on one of my old mobile phones and try it as well, but my guess is the result will be the same.

It seems to be the consensus on this forum that the device decides which band it will use, not the Orbi.  I have been on the forum for some time, and one of the frequent complaints is that devices select the "wrong" connection (i.e. not the closest router/satellite, the wrong "band", etc.)  What seems obviously the optimal connection (to us) is often not the connection that devices have chosen.

This is not to say that YOUR Orbi behaves live mine.  I would, however, suggest some controlled tests.  Find something that is connecting at 5G on the primary network (like my laptop), then attempt to connect to the Orbi guest network with it.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@Gater wrote:

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Did another test.  Powered up my old Moto e4, selected "My Guest", and it connected at 5G.  Of course, I am sitting at my desktop computer in the same room as the Orbi router, so I have strong WiFi signals.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7