Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbit RBR50 is non-responsive

dr_dr_dr
Aspirant

Orbit RBR50 is non-responsive

My Orbit RBR50 router stopped broadcasting my network. A reboot didn't fix anything. I attempted to do a factory reset, but noticed that the power light remained green the entire time and I am still unable to access the router. Is this thing bricked or is there some way of recovering it still?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Re: Orbit RBR50 is non-responsive

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Disconnect the ISP service LAN cable from the RBR.

Power OFF the RBR fully from the power outlet for 30 seconds, than power back ON. 

Check to see if the top ring LED starts blicking ON and OFF. If it does, press the reset button in back for 15 seconds then release. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBR. If the top ring LED starts slowly pulsating ON and OFF, see if the PC and web browser can access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1. Check your ethernet adapter settings to see if it got an IP address from the RBR. 

@dr_dr_dr wrote:

My Orbit RBR50 router stopped broadcasting my network. A reboot didn't fix anything. I attempted to do a factory reset, but noticed that the power light remained green the entire time and I am still unable to access the router. Is this thing bricked or is there some way of recovering it still?

Message 3 of 9
dr_dr_dr
Aspirant

Thanks for that. The top ring LED does not light up at all. Last night I attempted to connect to the router via a PC as you suggested, and could not do it. Couldn't even ping the router.
Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 
I had a problem on a Windows 10 PC where this didn't work to use TFTP, so I switched to a WIndows 7 PC and the TFTP worked.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

Message 5 of 9
dr_dr_dr
Aspirant

I can't get the power LED to turn orange. When I turn the router on the LED turns green, regardless of how long I've held down the reset button.
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Last resort would be to try this:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-1...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-my-13-month-old-RBR50-bricked/td-p/2009904/jump-to/first-un...

If this unit is under warranty, you should make contact wtih NG support to see what your options are. 

Message 7 of 9
dr_dr_dr
Aspirant

The second link doesn't seem to fit my failure signature. The first seems like a Hail Mary but probably worth trying before I throw away the whole thing. Sadly, I'm well out of warranty.

Thanks for the input.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation