Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orib RBK40 Unresponsive, Reset not working

Saltin
Tutor

Orib RBK40 Unresponsive, Reset not working

Hi

I recently had to unplug my Orbi router and satellite. When I plugged my Router back in, I noticed that the LED on top was not flashing at all and that it seemed to not see my ISP's modem/internet connection. There was no wifi signal either (SSID did not appear on wireless devices).

I then tried to perform a hard reset, following the standard procedure, but the power LED just stays solid green, it does not kick over to amber, indicating a reset. I have also tried the 30-30-30 method to reset, which did not work.

When I plug my laptop directly into the router, using an IP that should be on the same subnet as the router, my laptop's ethernet port shows it is "disconnected". I cannot connect to the router to try a TFTP firmware upload to try and work around this issue. 

As far as I can tell, the router is completely bricked. I was surprised to see I had to pay for support access, but coughed up the money. After being on hold for 45 minutes, the lady told me I had the "wrong concern group" and that she doesn't support ORBI routers. She put me on hold saying she would transfer me to someone who could help. That was over an hour ago, and I am still on hold with no indication of what is happening (if anything).

I really need some help Netgear - this is pretty bad customer support.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Saltin
Tutor

Just to close this out - I was eventually able to get Netgear support on the phone and initiated the RMA process - the router is a brick, as suspected.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you holding the reset button in until the top LED on the router turns from white to amber or yellowish color?

the 30-30-30 isn't supported on NG routers anymore I believe...

Try this?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/SOLVED-Steps-for-debrick-unresponsive-R7000-...

Besure to use the Windows built in TFTP program, not the one suggested by NG. It's doesn't work.

Message 2 of 11
Saltin
Tutor

Thanks for you reply

My original post mentions I did try a regular reset first, and it does not work, the light stays green as mentioned. I am certainly making contact with the reset button as I can feel it click down.

At no time does the LED on the top of the unit come on.

Your link details the TFTP procedure to try and upload new firmware. When I plug into any LAN port on the Orbi, the connection is not recognized (i.e. the laptop which is connected to the LAN port shows its eternet port as "disconnected") It is impossible to TFTP to the device.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If the top LED isn't coming on amber or any color, I believe the unit is bad.

You'll need to make contact with NG support and check on a RMA.

Message 4 of 11
Saltin
Tutor

Thanks for your reply - I agree. I am having trouble actually talking to someone at Netgear, as mentioned in my original post. I spent almost 2 hours mostly on hold this morning. Is there a specific number for Orbi support? Details of my experience are in my original post.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try a forum moderator.

@DarrenM

Message 6 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Saltin I have sent you a PM.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 11
Saltin
Tutor

Just to close this out - I was eventually able to get Netgear support on the phone and initiated the RMA process - the router is a brick, as suspected.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope the the RMA works for you. Let us know how it goes.

Message 9 of 11
Saltin
Tutor

RMA complete and issue is fixed -the unit I recieved works fine.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the new units works. Enjoy.

Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation