Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orib not allowing downloads from Apple and SCAM by support

Xami3l
Aspirant

Orib not allowing downloads from Apple and SCAM by support

I have an ORBI RBR40 with Sattlite. >>not in drop down list.<<   I changed ISP's back in August.  Prior to that, the internet was working beautifully with NO issues and strong signal.    The new ISP had their own wi-fi router and stated it would be plenty for the house, so I shut it down and boxed it up.   As the access point was in the room where my computer was located, I had a hardline connection and wireless to phones, apple tv's etc.   We rearranged the house and moved the office upstairs to the opposite side of the house meaning my pc now had to go wireless or rewire the house.   The signal was not strong enough to get the speeds I needed, therefore, I got the ORBI out.    1) shut down all systems and unplugged.   2) restarted ISP Modem.   >>Later did a second restart with them on the line and confirmed, modem is perfect.<<   3) Plugged in ORBI only.  allowed to come up fully.  4) Used app to login to ORBI and set up Sattelite.   5) logged in iphone 7S Plus.  6) attempted to play Pandora.   Loads app, loads stations, loads station art, shows as playing, but does not play.   7) Deleted app.  😎 went to iTunes app store, searched and located Pandora app, clicked down load, received error:  "Cannot download app at this time"   9) Contacted ISP, >>many steps, no issues.  >>Contacted Apple- over an hour on the phone with many steps attempted and could find no issues on their end.   10) Called Netgear support from # in the ORBI app.    {this is where it gets weird}  Agent Arby Williams stated "all your devices are infected with infections from the internet, you need to give me remote access to install a $99 firewall on your PC."   I told him, my iphones and ipad pro's are not infected with anything and I run full versions of Kaspersky on AV and secure connection monitoring VPN services.  I asked if the ISP modem was infected, he said no.  I asked if the ORBI router was infected, he said no.  I asked if my PC was infected he said no, just all of my other devices, but....he wanted to install the firewall on my PC....   When I said no, he got rude and hung up.   I called back, he immediately answered acting all bothered and put out.    Neither Apple or my ISP was able to confirm anything he was saying.    If anyone has a solution to fixing the issue with the ORBI, I would appreciate your assistance as Netgear apparently is attempting strongarm scam tactics to sell you something you dont need and are useless when it comes to customer service.    Thanks in advance for your assitance.   

Message 1 of 10
pxpioneer
Tutor

Are you sure it was Netgear support? Sounds like the "Call Microsoft Immediately" people that have hit many of my customers. I've never heard of Netgear trying to troubleshoot a virus for a customer.

Just to put your mind at ease you can try the free version of MalwareBytes for a quick scan and then uninstall it. I had a customer with an all Apple home that had malware despite another antivirus suite. I pulled off 72 various items for free. Brought performance back his 2012 device.

Worth a shot, no money in the deal.

As for the Orbi, this is about to make me put my Cisco router back in and make this a really expensive could managed access point as I'm to far out to get a refund from Best Buy.
Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@Blanca_O

@ChristineT

@Xami3l wrote:

I have an ORBI RBR40 with Sattlite. >>not in drop down list.<<   I changed ISP's back in August.  Prior to that, the internet was working beautifully with NO issues and strong signal.    The new ISP had their own wi-fi router and stated it would be plenty for the house, so I shut it down and boxed it up.   As the access point was in the room where my computer was located, I had a hardline connection and wireless to phones, apple tv's etc.   We rearranged the house and moved the office upstairs to the opposite side of the house meaning my pc now had to go wireless or rewire the house.   The signal was not strong enough to get the speeds I needed, therefore, I got the ORBI out.    1) shut down all systems and unplugged.   2) restarted ISP Modem.   >>Later did a second restart with them on the line and confirmed, modem is perfect.<<   3) Plugged in ORBI only.  allowed to come up fully.  4) Used app to login to ORBI and set up Sattelite.   5) logged in iphone 7S Plus.  6) attempted to play Pandora.   Loads app, loads stations, loads station art, shows as playing, but does not play.   7) Deleted app.  😎 went to iTunes app store, searched and located Pandora app, clicked down load, received error:  "Cannot download app at this time"   9) Contacted ISP, >>many steps, no issues.  >>Contacted Apple- over an hour on the phone with many steps attempted and could find no issues on their end.   10) Called Netgear support from # in the ORBI app.    {this is where it gets weird}  Agent Arby Williams stated "all your devices are infected with infections from the internet, you need to give me remote access to install a $99 firewall on your PC."   I told him, my iphones and ipad pro's are not infected with anything and I run full versions of Kaspersky on AV and secure connection monitoring VPN services.  I asked if the ISP modem was infected, he said no.  I asked if the ORBI router was infected, he said no.  I asked if my PC was infected he said no, just all of my other devices, but....he wanted to install the firewall on my PC....   When I said no, he got rude and hung up.   I called back, he immediately answered acting all bothered and put out.    Neither Apple or my ISP was able to confirm anything he was saying.    If anyone has a solution to fixing the issue with the ORBI, I would appreciate your assistance as Netgear apparently is attempting strongarm scam tactics to sell you something you dont need and are useless when it comes to customer service.    Thanks in advance for your assitance.   

Message 3 of 10

@pxpioneer wrote:
Are you sure it was Netgear support? Sounds like the "Call Microsoft Immediately" people that have hit many of my customers. I've never heard of Netgear trying to troubleshoot a virus for a customer.

We have already seen reports of Alexa dialling fake support numbers when someone says "Call Netgear support".

The number called has nothing to do with Netgear. It connects to one of those scamsters who pays to appear on Google search.

Ironically, Netgear makes it hard to phone support. (Try finding a  number.) It does not even provide paid for support. It farms that out to GearHead Technical Support.

GearHead Support

Message 4 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@Xami3l wrote:

1) shut down all systems and unplugged.   2) restarted ISP Modem.   >>Later did a second restart with them on the line and confirmed, modem is perfect.<< ..............

- Is Orbi set in Router Mode?

- Are you sure that the ISP modem doesn’t provide any router/DHCP functionality?

- Can you see uner “Attached Devices” that all devices have IP addresses within the set DHCP range in your router?

Message 5 of 10
Xami3l
Aspirant

In response to ekhalil: 

Hi.   Thanks for the reply.  1) yes.   2) Unknown.   After speaking to my ISP for over an hour, they confirmed they have nothing that would be interfering or causing this issue.  3) yes.

So, after over an hour with my ISP, about an hour and a half with Apple and a scam attempt by orbi, I found a different # for orbi and tried another call.   After about 30 minutes, we changed the channels on the orbi router and it (mostly) solved the issue.   At this point, it is very slow, but connected and downloading fine.  On the PC, outlook will get and send email, but will not download pics in messages as it says Im not online.....weird.    Changing the channels on the router solved the issue with all apple devices. 

Message 6 of 10
Xami3l
Aspirant

It was surprising as the number I called came from within the orbi app....which is odd as I cant get any #'s to come up in the app now.  Perhaps I was mistaken.    

Message 7 of 10
ekhalil
Master

Great, seems that you’re on the right track now.
Good luck!
Message 8 of 10

@Xami3l wrote:

It was surprising as the number I called came from within the orbi app....which is odd as I cant get any #'s to come up in the app now.  Perhaps I was mistaken.    

Surprising, yes, but not the first time I have seen reports of this here.

Remember, the Orbi app runs on the back of Alexa. So it is down to whatever Amazon uses to handle these requests. If it goes anywhere near a search engine, advertising wins over reliability.

Message 9 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Xami3l

Please PM us the case number given to you at the time of support. This is for us to properly followup and resolve any issues you are having. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7