Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Original RBK53 Technical Spec 2x2 radio VS 4x4 radio for second 5GHz dedicated backhaul

tigereat
Aspirant

Original RBK53 Technical Spec 2x2 radio VS 4x4 radio for second 5GHz dedicated backhaul

Hi,

I just bought a new RBK53. Look like i got the original one with USB 2.0 in the back of both router and satellites. However, I look at the original RBK53 technical spec on both datasheet and on its box. it says second 5GHz dedicated backhaul uses 2x2 radio ( I have attached the screenshot) instead of 4x4 radio currently used on RBK50 ,RBK50v2 , RBK53V2 and RBK53S.  

I am not sure if this is a typo on the datasheet as well as on the box of original RBK53 or it is correct that the original one uses less radio channels for second 5GHz dedicated backhaul, which could cuase inferior performance compared to the other related models 

Please advise

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Original RBK53 Technical Spec 2x2 radio VS 4x4 radio for second 5GHz dedicated backhaul

I have one of the original rbk53's and can attest to it having a 4x4 backhaul with a 2x2 fronthaul. it must be a typo as even right above where you highlighted it shows the 1733 + 866 + 400 mbps. I don't have my original box to look at as I'd have way to many boxes sitting around if i kept them. 

Message 2 of 7
tigereat
Aspirant

Re: Original RBK53 Technical Spec 2x2 radio VS 4x4 radio for second 5GHz dedicated backhaul

Hi,. Thanks for the reply. I have attached the picture of its box of one I just bought brand new. It shows it uses 2x2 channels for dedicated backhaul .

Don't know how to confirm or test if it is actually 2x2 or 4x4 channel.
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Easiest way? 

Download a channel scanner like inssider or acrylic. It'll pick up the backhaul and display the link speed for the hidden backhaul. If its showing 1733 its a 4x4 setup. If its 866, its 2x2. 

Message 4 of 7
tagteam
Virtuoso

Attached is an image of the box from my RBK53 system, which I bought over 2 years ago (circa August of 2017). I bought the system from Costco and it does indeed have a USB port (and also 3.5 A power adapters). Incidentally, it has performed pretty much flawlessly over multiple firmware versions.

I have no idea why the OP's box indicates "2x2" for the backhaul but it would seem to be tough to get to 1,733 Mbps unless it was 4x4 (admittedly my knowledge in this area is limited). Regardless, it seems fairly clear that the documentation, including the box covers, were printed at different times and probably different places with differing information.

Message 5 of 7
tigereat
Aspirant

I attched original RBK53 datasheet, which shows that it uses 2x2 channel for dedicated backhaul. I got it from an online website which is still selling the original version. They said they got the datasheet directly from Netgear website about 2 years ago. 

It i hard to believe a big company such as Netgear will allow this kind of mistake to happen showing wrong info on both Datasheet and on the box of the product sold miliion units worldwide.  So, I am confused which is correct and would like to hear directly from Netgear that it is a typo if that i possible.

If it is 2x2 for sure, i might have to buy V2 version since they cost the same. However, V2 looks like a downgrade to me since V2 has no USB port , less flash memory ( V1 4GB vs V2 512MB) and doesn't come with universal power adapter ( only 100-120v :12V,2.5a compared to V1 with 100-240V:12V,3.5a).  

Not sure if I would feel regret getting V2 version later

Message 6 of 7
tagteam
Virtuoso

@tigereat wrote:

I attched original RBK53 datasheet, which shows that it uses 2x2 channel for dedicated backhaul. I got it from an online website which is still selling the original version. They said they got the datasheet directly from Netgear website about 2 years ago. 

My response is partially a repitition of my eariler post. Again, the speed for the backhaul clearly states 1733 Mbps, even on your datasheet and on your box.

Also, again, from my limited understanding, it would be impossible for a 2x2 to deliver that speed. In fact, it would be roughly half of that 1733 figure, or 866, if it were actually 2x2.

If you still don't believe me, then take a look at the web site below. In particular, scroll down and look at the chart for 802.11ac (in the 256-QAM row).

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7