Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Out of sight Ring Flood Light Motion Detector

Telescopist
Aspirant

Out of sight Ring Flood Light Motion Detector

I'm just trying to make sense of Netgear's products and what to purchase. A Ring flood light will be mounted under an eave facing the oposite direction of the house. The router and modem are located in the middle of the 2nd floor of this house. To be more clear, the garage doors face an alley which is not visible from either the first or second floor of the house. The distance to the garage doors  to the back door entrance to the house is @ 78 feet. The distance to where the current router modem is located  (a 6 year old Verizon Actiontec)  on the second floor is @ 20 feet. I thought it would make sense to purchase a NETGEAR Orbi All-in-One Cable Modem + Whole Home Mesh-Ready WiFi Router. From there I'm stuck about how to proceed. I've looked at the NETGEAR Orbi Ultra-Performance Whole Home Mesh WiFi Satellite Extender, the NETGEAR Orbi WiFi System, a Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Long Range - Wireless Access Point, and more. More to confuse me really. I want two things: 1. the Ring to communicate with the router/modem seemlessly and with good signal strength. 2. Improvement in signal strength in the house. Thanks for the help. 

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

There are several posts on this forum specifically about Ring products.  (I do not have any, so I have not studied the posts.)  Use the search box in the purple bar at the top of the page to find them.

A rough diagram of the layout might help. (Some of us are "visual" rather than "verbal").

We have forum members who are quite happy with their "bundled" Orbi (modem/router/WiFi all in one).  Just for myself, I would rather keep the modem and router separate.  For one thing, the bundled product appears to be maintained by a different set of engineers than the "regular Orbi".  Another reason is I sense a good chance that in the future I will want to upgrade either the modem or the WiFi, and would rather replace only part of it.  It's a judgement call either way.

One easy test is to load a WiFi Analyzer sort of program on a smart phone (alas, I have a suspicion that Apple no longer allows them, but Android does.)  Go out to the where the Ring doorbell will be placed and see what signal strength the current WiFi produces.  Actually, even without an app, if the phone connects to your existing WiFi at that location, the signal should be good enough for a Ring.  Any Orbi mesh can be set up to produce a higher signal all over the house, so if the signal is good enough now, it will be "even better" with an Orbi.

You are right to think this through before spending a lot of money.  Ubiquiti makes good products.  Severa forum members have reported solving specific problems with Ubiquiti.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 5
Telescopist
Aspirant

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Thank you for your response. Now I see that I can attach images related to my concerns. I will do that very soon. Thanks once again

Richard

Message 3 of 5
Telescopist
Aspirant

Here are two images. The 2nd one was taken at the back door to the garage. The upper window on the left (this was a porch at one time) opens up into a bedroom. The ActionTech router/modem that Verizon gave me is located in the middle room on the 2nd floor. It looks like I can only attach one image at a time

Message 4 of 5
Telescopist
Aspirant

The 2nd image looking back toward the house.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7