Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Outdoor Extender vs. Regular Satellite

TheSpankster
Follower

Outdoor Extender vs. Regular Satellite

Doing some outdoor construction and I had a ethernet line run out to my pool area. I would like to add a satellite outside in the pool shed. This would be a hard wired satellite. I have a few questions. 

1. It doesnt look like the outdoor extender has an ethernet port to be hardwired. Is this correct? I wanted to use this as it seems to be able to better withstand the temperature changes. As it will be inside the shed, it doesnt need to be protected from the elements (i.e. rain/snow) but it will be subjected to the heat/cold. Can I just use a regular satellite?

2. The line that was run to the pool shed is run from one of the existing satellites...will this be a problem in any way?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

M

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Outdoor Extender vs. Regular Satellite

@TheSpankster wrote:

Doing some outdoor construction and I had a ethernet line run out to my pool area. I would like to add a satellite outside in the pool shed. This would be a hard wired satellite. I have a few questions. 

1. It doesnt look like the outdoor extender has an ethernet port to be hardwired. Is this correct?---you're correct. It doesn't have an ethernet port.  I wanted to use this as it seems to be able to better withstand the temperature changes. As it will be inside the shed, it doesnt need to be protected from the elements (i.e. rain/snow) but it will be subjected to the heat/cold. Can I just use a regular satellite?  yes/no? Tough to give you a 100% answer. Extremes of temperature will wreck most electronics and can cause condensation within the device. It might work fine and not have issues. But it could stop working right away if it does get condesation. Mine has been in my garage (minnesota weather) and been running for years. But I can't say yours will. What you could use? The WBC502. Its netgear airbridge but it does have an access point mode and is outdoor rated. 

2. The line that was run to the pool shed is run from one of the existing satellites...will this be a problem in any way?---It used to be. I've ran it within the last 6 months without issues though. 

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

M

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Outdoor Extender vs. Regular Satellite

You are correct.  The outdoor rated Orbi satellite has no ethernet jack.  Perhaps the engineers did not anticipate customers being willing to penetrate their exterior wall to get to the satellite.

Orbi satellites have modest environmental specs: 32 to 104F. (i.e. not particularly well suited for an enclosed space outdoors without ventilation (cooling) and heating (winter).

The primary benefiti of an Orbi satellite vs. an ordinary WiFi access point is the "integration".  Devices will "roam" from one Orbi device to another, switching seamlessly when the signal from one is deemed "better" than the other.  (Great for cell phones.)  An ordinary access point is a separate system.  Users would need to manually switch from the Orbi WiFi to the AP (and back).  Or, if the pool is located far enough from the house, then devices might drop their Orbi connection and pick up the AP automatically.

If WiFi is important and you can put up with lack of integration, there are many options.  The Ubiquiti UAP-FlexHD, for example, is a combination 2.4G/5G access point that is outdoor rated, wall or pole mounted, powered over PoE, and rated for -22 to +158F.  It retails for $179 and requires a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer to configure.

https://unifi-flexhd.ui.com/ 

https://dl.ui.com/qsg/UAP-FlexHD/UAP-FlexHD_EN.html 

I have no particular preference for Ubiquiti. As far as I am aware, I have never actually seen one in person.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7