Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Outside WiFi cams ignoring sats & going to router?

Adrian97c
Apprentice

Outside WiFi cams ignoring sats & going to router?

I just got a rbk23 kit (1 rb20 router & 2 sats), my house is 2000sqft single family, my outdoor wifi cams(1 on each corner -4total) are 2.4/5ghz WiFi... They keep connecting to the router in middle of home instead of the 2 sats on each opposite side of house. My orbi setup is default settings (daisy, mimmo, etc all enabled), most recent FW, and layout is (Sat, Router, sat) with about 30-50ft from each other, with the middle being the router. I know a 6k sqft system is overkill, but my outdoor cameras struggled to connect with my R7000. so I thought an Orbi would help me... now I’m struggling with the Cameras connecting to the middle (router), instead of the satalites right next to the cameras!
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Alot of signal handling is done at the camera as well. It all depend on what they are set up and configured for in handling wifi signals.

What you might try is to reduce the power levels on the router from 100% to say 75 or 50% and see if the cameras connect differently. This may impact signals between the router and satellites as well.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 15
Adrian97c
Apprentice

I will disable what you suggested, but some questions:

Where do I go to “lower the strength”?

What the best way to determine which 5ghz isn’t being used? It’s set to a number like 48, there was like 4 choices to pick from.
Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Adanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try them all. However use a wifi scanner to see other neighbors near by to see what there using. Should matter for cameras. I presume they are only using 2.4Ghz?

Message 4 of 15
Adrian97c
Apprentice

Is there an iOS scanner you recommend?

My cameras support both 2.4/5ghz, which prob makes it even more confusing for them with Orbi. I wish I could force connect them to 2.4ghz only & specific sat per camera.
Message 5 of 15
Adrian97c
Apprentice

IPv6 is set default to “disabled”, should I enable or leave it off?
Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru
Adrian97c
Apprentice

Ok I’ll check those out after work today... I’m not sure what xfinity blast has v6 support or not. Thx for the info so far!
Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 9 of 15
ekhalil
Master

Seems that your cameras do not support roaming and they just connect to the first basestation that becomes available (which is the router) and never makes measurements to decide if there are better basestations to roam to. Check if the cameras support (802.11k/802.11v/802.11r)

- Try switching off a camera and then switch it on and see where it will connect.

- Try switching off the router for few seconds and then on to see if the cameras will decide to change to the satellites.

It can also be that the cameras don't like the 5GHz channel that you set in the router (because it's used by neighbours) and goes for the 2.4 GHz channel.

- Try changing the 5 GHz to another channel as suggested by FURRYe38.

- Try also to reduce the power of only the 2.4GHz channels to very low value and see if the cameras will behave differently.

Message 10 of 15
Adrian97c
Apprentice

Model: ADC-722w
All it says on data sheet around WiFi: 2.4ghz/5ghz, B,G,N,AC.
I lowered power on both 2.4/5ghz, so let me put the 5ghz back to 100%.

Thx for the advice, will be trying all suggestions, not giving up easily... I was excited to try Orbi, so I did expect some placement & settings tweaking would be required. Will keep you all posted.
Message 11 of 15
Adrian97c
Apprentice

I took all of furrys advice, lowered 2.4ghz to 75%, but kept 5ghz full strength... disabled all the Items he listed.

So far entire day since then, all is working good!

I’ll experiment with adding back roaming for few days... & then adding back beamforming, then mimmo, etc.
Message 12 of 15
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@Adrian97c wrote:
Ok I’ll check those out after work today... I’m not sure what xfinity blast has v6 support or not. Thx for the info so far!

Comcast has supported IPv6 for years and it works fine.

Message 13 of 15
Adrian97c
Apprentice

What does it exactly do? It was off in my Orbi settings by default.. what would I expect to see by enabling the option?
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

IPv6 allows for different way to connect to the Orbi and get internet access. It's the next IP addressing scheme to come out. Not all ISPs support it natively yet. Not all devices support IPv6 address protocols either. You can test with it enabled or disabled. If your cameras don't support it, they won't use it so don't worry about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

@Adrian97c wrote:
What does it exactly do? It was off in my Orbi settings by default.. what would I expect to see by enabling the option?

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7