Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Outside coverage

Dthompson6
Follower

Outside coverage

I have a 1600 basement rancher with a 12'x50' patio and a boat dock approx 100' away. I'm looking for what product or combination to purchase. Initially I considered The modem and two satalites (RBX43 Or RBS20), placing one at the dock.  Then I found the RBS50y, which is pricey In conjunction with the a modem. Can someone provide some direction?  Thanks. 

Message 1 of 3
ekhalil
Master

Re: Outside coverage

The only Orbi outdoor base station is the RBS50y. The RBS40 and RBS20 are indoor units.
Message 2 of 3

Re: Outside coverage

@Dthompson6 wrote:

The modem and two satalites (RBX43 Or RBS20), placing one at the dock.  Then I found the RBS50y, which is pricey In conjunction with the a modem.

A satellite cannot substitute for a modem.

Satellites also need an Orbi router of some sort.

So you need at least these things: a modem, a router and some satellites.

There is an Orbi cable modem/router, but that locks you into the modem.

I have no idea what you mean by RBX43. It doesn't seem to exist in the Orbi catalogue. The RBS50Y is the satellite designed for outdoor use. I have one paired with an RBR40, an RBW30 and an RBS40V Voice.

I'm not sure that the RBS50Y can handle 100 feet. I have tried it that far. Maybe it would work if placed in the middle, between the dock and the patio. But that needs power.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7