Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: P/W Reset Questions

statman66
Tutor

P/W Reset Questions

Q1:  What is the name of your first Netgear product?  Is this a trick question?  I'm sure it was not a question selected by me.  Is the anser on my router somewhere?

Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

There is no login needed after the factory reset. The set up wizard starts here immediately.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 23

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

This would have been set up in the initial setup wizard when you first set up the router. You can use this question or pick from a list of questions. If you don't know what you gave for an answer then you'll need to walk thru the set up wizard again. Factory reset and set up from scratch.

Message 2 of 23
statman66
Tutor

But if I don't know my ID and P/W (and "admin" and "password" don't work), how do I start from scratch?

Message 3 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Hold down the reset button in back of the router untill the top led changes to yellowish color, then let go. Top led will blink white, then slow blink white. Log in and you'll see the set up wizard. Walk thru this.

Message 4 of 23
statman66
Tutor

This procedure will reset router so I can use "admin" and "password" to login?

Message 5 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll set up a new PW.

Message 6 of 23
statman66
Tutor

Sorry for being dense, but it's the whole login procedure that's creating the problem.  Once I do a physical reset as per your instructions, I will visit obilogin.com.  A login window will then open.  I get all this.  When I do this the first time before setting my own, will "admin" and "password" work as the initial login ID and P/W?

Message 7 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

The set up wizard will walk you thru what you have to do. I recommend NOT using password. Due to the recent VPNFilter vulnerability thats running out.

Just walk thru the setup wizard and complete it. You need to write down your responces for future use if needed.

Message 8 of 23
statman66
Tutor

I know I don't want to use that as my personal pasword.  I'm talking about the VERY FIRST login after the physical reset.  Will I not need an ID or a P/W then?

Message 9 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

There is no login needed after the factory reset. The set up wizard starts here immediately.

Message 10 of 23
statman66
Tutor

Did all this and now refuses to go to the orbilogin.net or com site.  Takes me to netgear site.  Am trying to clear Chrome, but doesn't want to clear.  Help!

Message 11 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Disconnect the WAN cable from the wan port on the Router. Then try 192.168.1.1 after a factory reset. Try IE11 or FF browser.

Message 12 of 23
statman66
Tutor

Tried that.  FF won't download.  I have a Mac so tried Safari.  No luck.  BTW, MAC says my IP address i 10.224.0.1

Message 13 of 23
statman66
Tutor

Finally, download Orbi App to iPhone.  Think I was able to reset everything and WIFI working now.  Thanks

Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you sure your mac is connected to the router? Or the modem? Wired to the router and disable the mac's wifi radio?? Did you disconnect the WAN port from the ISP modem? 

Seems like the modem is in router mode and the Orbi is detecting that the modem is using 192.168.1.1 and has change it's pool to a 10 address string. 

Look at your macs networking settings for the connection your using. Look at the Gateway address, what is it's address here? Try this address in your safari browser...

Message 15 of 23
statman66
Tutor

Furrye38,

Guess I replied to someone else in theis trhead earlier.  Yes, everything was hooked up correctly; I'm not a complete neophyte.  But FINALLY, was able to access via iPhone Orbi App, which let me reconfigure thru my phone.  Thanks for your help along the way.  Still not sure about that screwy IP address though.  

Message 16 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of your ISP modem? 

Message 17 of 23
statman66
Tutor

Cisco DPC3941T provided by my cable company, Xfinity.

Message 18 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance of getting this modem bridged or replaced with a modem only? 

This is a gateway modem so it has a built in router already with wifi:

https://www.cnet.com/products/cisco-model-dpc3941t-docsis-3-0-24x4-wireless-residential-voice-gatewa...

This is why your seeing 10 IP address on your PC thats connected to the Orbi, the modem is using 192.168.1.x pool and the Orbi auto adjusted for something different as it can't use the same IP pool as the modem.

I believe you can BYOM with xfinity. 

Other option would be to use the modems DMZ for your Orbi router while using the Orbi in router mode, or configure the Orbi for AP mode. 

Message 19 of 23
statman66
Tutor

I knew that, but need the satellite to cover may daughter's bedroom a couple of concrete walls away from the main router.  Really didn't have any problems until I tried to log into it and found I'd forgotton my P/W.  I can try, but have you ever tried dealing with Xfinity?

Message 20 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

LOL no. Understand. Well if you don't wanna deal with Xfinity, you can use the DMZ for the Orbi router in router mode or configure it for AP mode. Either of these methods will work. You'll still have use and operation of the satellite as needed. 

Message 21 of 23
statman66
Tutor

Very cool.  Thank you for your help and your patience.

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck and Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements