Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PS4 Pro Wont Connect to the 5GHz Signal

HyImTim
Aspirant

PS4 Pro Wont Connect to the 5GHz Signal

So I just recently purchased the Orbi RBK40 router and I noticed you cannot separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi signals through normal methods. I was told that the router has a system or program that automatically pushes the best connection possible. All the devices that support a 5GHz connection seem to connect just fine. However, there are two PS4 Pros in the house and the router refuse to connect it to the 5GHz conncetion. Under my network settings on both PS4 Pro say they are on a 2.4 GHz conncetion. Even under the router GUI it says that it's connected to the 2.4 GHz conncetion. I've been trying to look up methods on how to connect it mannually but no luck. I found a post that teaches how to separate the SSIDs for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz and it worked, however the devices that were connceting to the 5GHz were experincing lag issues and would not have a consistent download rate. I usually average between 145-150 Mbps download when I don't split the SSIDs. However, when they are separate SSIDs, the download ranges from 6-130 Mbps and is never consistent. Not to mention, when the SSIDs are split, the PS4s seems to disconnect from the router frequently.

Long story short, is there a way to connect the PS4 Pro to the 5GHz connection?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Based on what you said, it sounds like the Orbi is working as designed->it's connecting your PS4 to the WiFi band that gives you the connection with the best performance, which is 2.4 in your case.

You said you get good download speeds when connected to 2.4 G.

You said you get poor download speeds and frequent disconects when you force your devices to connect to 5 G.

Therefore, your 5 G signal quality at the PS4 is poor and the Orbi is connecting you to 2.4, as it should.

I don't know why you would need to connect to 5 G if your devices are performing OK on 2.4.

If you want to connect to 5 G, then move your PS4 and/or your Orbi so they are closer together.  5 G doesn't travel very well through walls.

Message 2 of 4
guzzijason
Apprentice

FWIW, it's normally the client device that chooses which band to use, based on various signal quality metrics. One thing to keep in mind is that the range and solid object penetration of 5 GHz is terrible compared to 2.4 GHz. For this reason, the farther your client devices are from the base station, the more likely they are to choose the 2.4 GHz connection. As st_shaw mentions, this is perfectly normal.

Also, with that said, different manufacturers can each choose their own thresholds on when to prefer one frequency over another. For this reason, its entirely possible that you could have a device, such as an iPhone right next to the PS4 and one device might choose 5 GHz, while the other might decide to use 2.4 GHz.

Message 3 of 4
HyImTim
Aspirant

Sorry I should have been more clear. When I was able to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz, the overall performance for the 5GHz dropped for every device. So I had to factory reset it to where they were one SSID again. And I seem to have fixed the problem. I tuned down the transmission power on the 2.4GHz band to 75% and turned of daisy chain. Now the PS4 is connecting to the 5GHz with no drops in the download rate
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7