Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PS4 Refusing to connect to Orbi WiFi

paulb73
Initiate

PS4 Refusing to connect to Orbi WiFi

Hi Folks

For some reason my PS4 is refusing to connect to my Orbi WiFi network. It has previously worked fine (though I haven’t used it in a while). When I go through the network configuration I get a long pause after entering the password and then the message “Cannot connect to the Wi-Fi network within the time limit.” appears.

I’ve tested the PS4 using the personal hotspot on my phone and it connects fine. I’m running f/w 2.2.1.210 on the router and am connected to a Virgin Media Hub. Everything has had a clean reboot.

Anything I should be trying or checking?

TIA

Paul

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Flash008
Luminary

It's not you! It's the newer FW. My PS4 dropped every 2-5 minutes. Had to go back to ethernet.

Don't waste your time breaking yout PS4.

Instead. Roll back your Orbi FW and the problem will likely resolve itself.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

I saw this issue reported frequently from PS4 users. The following solutions were always suggested:

Solution #1:

On your PS4, go to [Settings] > [Networks] > [Set Up Internet Connection] > (Use WiFi) > (Easy). When asked which Wi-Fi network you want to use, scroll down to the bottom and select [Set Up Manually]. Select (Enter Manually) and enter your Orbi's SSID, followed by your network's password.

Solution #2:

Restart your PS4 in Safe Mode and select option 4 [Restore Default Settings]. When your system restarts try connecting to your Wi-Fi access point again.

Good luck 🙂

Message 2 of 9
Flash008
Luminary

It's not you! It's the newer FW. My PS4 dropped every 2-5 minutes. Had to go back to ethernet.

Don't waste your time breaking yout PS4.

Instead. Roll back your Orbi FW and the problem will likely resolve itself.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

@paulb73 wrote:

Hi Folks

For some reason my PS4 is refusing to connect to my Orbi WiFi network. It has previously worked fine (though I haven’t used it in a while). When I go through the network configuration I get a long pause after entering the password and then the message “Cannot connect to the Wi-Fi network within the time limit.” appears.

I’ve tested the PS4 using the personal hotspot on my phone and it connects fine. I’m running f/w 2.2.1.210 on the router and am connected to a Virgin Media Hub. Everything has had a clean reboot.

Anything I should be trying or checking?

TIA

Paul

Message 4 of 9
paulb73
Initiate

Well looks like that was it. I’ve rolled back the router and the satellites to version 2.1.4.16 of the firmware manually and all is well once again.

I’m guessing there’s a bug or other issue in the latest version.

My PS4 is now connected and accessing PSN and the store etc fine.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
Flash008
Luminary

Glad that helped you. Notice Netgear's first and only response is to always blame you and your devices, and ask you to waste hours of your time chasing problems that exist within Netgear's products and only they can fix....LOL.

I had to respond to you once I saw Netgears's response. I thought to myself..."Poor guy, About to spend 1-2 hours doing something that will lead him nowhere"..

Have a great day.

Message 6 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@Flash008 wrote:

Glad that helped you. Notice Netgear's first and only response is to always blame you and your devices, and ask you to waste hours of your time chasing problems that exist within Netgear's products and only they can fix....LOL.

I had to respond to you once I saw Netgears's response. I thought to myself..."Poor guy, About to spend 1-2 hours doing something that will lead him nowhere"..

Have a great day.

Yes, this might be a quick way to solve -or hide- the issue, but I'm not really sure if it's the correct approach. 🙂

The new software 2.2.1.210 had also many fixes that you will miss by downgrading to an older software. Yes, It might take longer time to troubleshoot the issue but systimatic troubleshooting will -most probably- either solve the issue for you and others or -at least- will pinpoint where the issue is so it can be fixed. 🙂

Message 7 of 9
Flash008
Luminary

Furry, and Netgear,

First, I am only trying to help you. Please don’t get sensitive. Find your safe space and stay calm.

Here is an EXAMPLE template you can add to your repository, and you can use when working on this thread, when trying to help others.

“Dear Orbi valued customer,

We deeply apologize for the technical difficulties you are experiencing using the Orbi product. As we work together towards resolving your issue, please be assured that we have carefully reviewed your problem and understand this to be a previously reported issue.

You can read more about this reported problem using this link “Insert Netgear KB or forum link here”.

Rest assured that Netgear is working to resolve this problem quickly. We will update the KB and/or forum link with the status and resolution as we make progress.

Until such time as the reported problem is resolved, here are some steps you can use as a work-around.

Provide work-around here…

1. Roll-back FW. Maybe suggest what FW they should use based on the problem…
  2. Disable certain features that may trigger the problem.
  3. Etc, etc, etc.

Further value you could add is..."Provide the customer a list of KNOWN problems that have yet to be resolved". Apple, Cisco, and 100s of other companies always provide FW with release notes...and those release notes always have a list of "KNOWN ISSUES, and/or UNRESOLVED ISSUES.

Again, only trying to help you. Blaming customers and asking them to spend countless hours of their time, when you KNOW this problem has been widely reported and is a internal FW problem….That is just cruel. Please respect we all have a life and our time is valuable. No one is going to crucify Netgear because Orbi has “another” problem. What will make us VERY ANGRY “FURRY” is wasting our time by providing guidance that leads to no fix. Don’t be so quick to rush judgment that the problem is with the customer. A quick search of Netgear forums will lead ANYONE to the PS4 problem and the FACT it is an Orbi problem, not a SONY problem.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If you decide to upgrade FW next time, please try the following, manually download the FW files, manually install them to the satellites first then router. Do a factory ERASE on everything and setup the router from scratch.

It's possible that your system was auto updated and we have seen various issues with this process. Manually updating FW seems to work better. 

Glad it's working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@paulb73 wrote:

Well looks like that was it. I’ve rolled back the router and the satellites to version 2.1.4.16 of the firmware manually and all is well once again.

I’m guessing there’s a bug or other issue in the latest version.

My PS4 is now connected and accessing PSN and the store etc fine.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7