Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PS4 no longer connects to Orbi

Toda922
Aspirant

PS4 no longer connects to Orbi

Never posted here before so I don't know exactly where to start, so I'll just give all the details I can think of.

Model: I believe it's the Orbi AC3000 (RBR50) but not 100% positive. It was a 3-pack from Costco (1 router, 2 satellites).

Firmware: V2.3.1.60 (but should not be relevant).

Problem: PS4 no longer connects to Orbi after switching from Xfinity to AT&T (was fine Yesterday).

PS4 Error Codes: (PS4 error CE-37813-2 or CE-33991-5) 

Full Context:

My household recently had AT&T Fiber 1000 installed and my PS4 is no longer connecting via WiFi or LAN to the Orbi Satellite in my room, which was NOT a problem with Xfinity. Now on my PS4 I "Set Up Internet Connection" then choose "Use Wi-Fi" or "Use a LAN Cable" then choose "Easy" setup...it then randomly asks if I want to use a Proxy Server (which never happened before). Obviously I press "Do Not Use", which makes my PS4 check the network environment only to then be greeted by the Error Code CE-37813-2. Believe me, I've tried manually setting up the connection using different DNS/IP/MTU settings. I also reset my PS4 and Orbi several times. And I even changed the router network name and password...but nothing works.

The strange thing is that my PS4 actually connects directly to the main modem network (whereas Orbi is the router network). I did other tests with AT&T Fiber and everything else connects to it just fine...it's only my PS4 that no longer connects. This makes me think that problem is with my Orbi and not with my PS4 or AT&T Fiber. Keep in mind, the Orbi's have not moved an inch since we first installed them 2 years ago and we factory reset them when we switched to AT&T. The ONLY hardware that's different after the switch is obviously the Modem which is now from AT&T. 

So my questions are:

1. Is Orbi fully compatible with AT&T Fiber?

2. Is something about my Orbi no longer allowing my PS4 to connect?

3. What is going on??

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: PS4 no longer connects to Orbi

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here already? If so, 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 9
Toda922
Aspirant

Not too familiar with Wi-Fi jargon so I'll answer to the best of my ability.

The modem AT&T provided is an ARRIS BGW210**. I believe it is a modem/router (see link below) so your assumption of Double NAT is probably correct. The Orbi is currently connected to the Arris via ethernet, so yes, we have 2 Wi-Fi networks across the house, one for the Orbi and one for the Modem. This is a similar setup as before with Xfinity. The Orbi was connected to the Xfinity modem/router, but that never caused any problems with my PS4.

I'm going to try doing the 3 things you recommended, however, I'm not that familiar with it so I'll probably need to contact customer support to walk me through it.

** I think this is the same ISP modem on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/BGW210-700-802-11b-Wireless-Gateway-REQUIRED/dp/B07BZC72TB)

Message 3 of 9
Toda922
Aspirant

Ok so I just called AT&T tech support and I believe they attempted the first 2 solutions (IP Passthrough and Bridging the modem) but neither worked. At one point, my PS4 even stopped connecting to the Modem Wi-Fi Network, but it never connected to the Orbi Wi-Fi or LAN networks. 

Message 4 of 9

A lot of people end up in the same boat because they have a modem/router in front of an Orbi router. As you have found, this is a recipe for chaos.

The easiest way out is not to faff around with complicated settings but to use the mode that so designed specifically for this purpose.

Go into the controls for your Orbi and put it into wireless access point (AP) mode.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

See the section Use the Router as a WiFi Access Point.

Message 5 of 9
Toda922
Aspirant

So I ended up puting my Orbi into Access Point mode following the instructions on FURRYe38's first link and my PS4 now connects to my Orbi via Wi-Fi or LAN. So thank you both for the help. 

I just have no idea what the reason for why it worked. What exactly is an AP? What are the pros and cons of using it? Why does my PS4 connect now? Why doesn't everyone automatically have their router in AP mode? etc etc etc

Message 7 of 9

@Toda922 wrote:

I just have no idea what the reason for why it worked. What exactly is an AP?

AP mode disables the router bit of the RBR50. That leaves your modem/router to handle the task of handing out local addresses for things on you network.

As it is, you had two routers. Both were probably trying to hand out an address for your PS4.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@Toda922 wrote:

Why doesn't everyone automatically have their router in AP mode? etc etc etc

Because you need one router on your network.

@Toda922 wrote:

What are the pros and cons of using it?

The cons are these:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If any of them affect you, then you can investigate how to disable the router bit on your modem/router. Sadly, many ISPs supply devices that deliberately prevent you from tweaking their kit in that way.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

AP=Access Point. Means the system works only as a wireless only system while the main host router does everyhing else. 

While in AP mode, the Orbi does't do any routing or router management. 

AP mode is only for those with ISP Modems that already have built in routers where modems are doing router management and can't get configured as modems only thus disabling any built in router management features. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

For users with modem only units, the Orbi needs to be configured for router mode. 

Glad it's working now. Please mark your post as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7