Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PS5 Speed test

DCP4971
Luminary

PS5 Speed test

Hi all,

Have RBR50 and 2x RBS50s. Plugged into cable modem (Arriss something or other) in modem mode - I recently changed this to modem from router, via factory reset.

I have a 1gig contract from my UK ISP, Virgin Media, which is fine. We typically have about 35 devices connnected (a couple of NAS drives, 2 or 3 tv's, Sly Q TV/satellite boxes, PS4, PS5, a couple of wired PCs, a couple of laptops, Arlo security cameras, Ring doorbell, house burglar alarm, iPads aplenty..). I have wired as much a I realistically can of the static devices, with a couple of unmanaged switches, mostly running cat6/7 cables.

My query is particalry about the PS5 that is wired to the RBR50 with a cat7 cable, interested for any views/others with similar experience.

Before reset, we had double Nat, which I don't think was causing any particular issues, but for neatness (and I was bored and needed a little project to do), I retired this config to single nat everything onto Orbi. However, something I had noted was that the PS5 when wired to RBR50 only ever achieved 150-250mbps download on the built-in speed test, whereas, when plugged directly into the cable router it would achieve 850-950mbps. This was reproducible at will in back-to-back tests seconds apart.

It's obviously not that big a deal with the speeds being achieved and we have very low latency and 5pmbps upload, after Virgin upgraded local capacity recently having been identified as an issue during the pandemic.

But, to satisfy my idle curiosity, I'm wanting to work out why the PS5 gives such different results between the cable router and RBR50.

Thanks for reading this far..

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is the PS the one wired device that experiences this thru the RBR? 

Do other wired devices see same problem? Use a wired PC or laptop? 

Message 2 of 8
DCP4971
Luminary

Hi, thanks for the reply, so;

Firmware is V2.7.3.22

ISP modem is apparently an Arriss TG3492LG-VMB

The PS5 is wired, using Cat7 cable.

Where I have tested other devices wired, it only seems to occur on the PS5 (I have a MacMini permanently wired and this runs at 800-950mbps when testing, other laptop when I have tested is equally speedy).

Cheers

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Armor, Circle or IPv6 enabled on the RBR? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 4 of 8
DCP4971
Luminary

Factory reset has been done. No Circle (but Netgrear Parental Controls is active), Armour is disabled. IPV6 is not enabled.

Thanks

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable SPC? 

Message 6 of 8
DCP4971
Luminary

Thanks for the suggestion, doesn't seem to make any difference. Also just disconnected all the other wired stuff and still speeds were really slow. Reconnected everything and MacMini, wired, still flying at 934mbps..

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like there is a problem between the RBR and thIs PS console. Something to contact NG support about and see. If other devices are working and this one is not, might contact Sony for some help as well...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7