Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Packet loss pattern

PyroDog
Apprentice

Packet loss pattern

My Orbi satellite and router are running on firmware 2.1.1.16

Today I noticed that my VoIP calls, web browsing and online gaming all hang at the same time. This prompted me to monitor the stability of the network and came up with the following graph:

IMG_0984.pngIt seems strange how regular the periods of packet loss are. I have already ruled out my ISP being at fault. This also happens on the latest beta firmware. Anyone having this same issue?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
PyroDog
Apprentice

After a few hours, the packet loss came back even after the change I made. Long story short: I ended up downgrading back to V2.0.0.74 where the issues is gone entirely. Beamforming and Fast Roaming are enabled in my configuration without issues. I hope this helps somebody.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Either it's a device on your network causing flooding or routing issue, or wireless interference. I would start by looking at your wifi signal availability by running a scanner on your network. Apple iOS devices have a built in scanner in the airport utility (go into options and turn on scanner), android devices have many downloadable apps that can scan wifi.

If that does not pan out I'd try kicking everything off your network by temporarily changing your Wifi Password and disconnecting all devices from ethernet and then test pinging to see what device could be introducing it.

Message 2 of 10
PyroDog
Apprentice

Thank you for your reply.

I betting it has something to do with the wireless signal since connecting a computer via ethernet straight to the Orbi router yields flawless performance on the same test. This discards devices flooding the network or routing issues in my mind.

I have taken a look at the WiFi enviorment as you suggested. It seems a total of six networks are broadcasted between the router and the satellite:

SSID: Pyro's Wifi

MAC address #1

2.4 Ghz

Channel 4

MAC address #2

2.4 Ghz

Channel 4

MAC address #3

5 Ghz

Channel 48

MAC address #4

5 Ghz

Channel 48

SSID: Hidden

MAC address #5

2.4 Ghz

Channel 4

SSID: Hidden

MAC address #6

5 Ghz

Channel 157

Additionally, my neighbours' WiFi signals are all broadcasting at 2.4 GHz as follows:

Two networks on channel 1

Two networks on channel 11

Four networks on channel 8

Two networks on channel 6

All my devices connect to my Orbi system in 5Ghz making me think my neighbours' Wifi are no harm to me.

However, I see my own SSIDs share the same channel on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Seems my Orbi devices are making interference with each other?

Message 3 of 10
PyroDog
Apprentice

I did some experimentation and found that INDEED the Orbi router and satellite are interfering with each other. For my testing, I shutdown the sattelite unit completely leaving only the router unit operating. Without changing anything else, I ran my original test and came up with this:

IMG_0985.png

The packet loss pattern is now gone completely. For futher testing I stressed the WiFi network with VoiP, online gaming and web browsing simultaneously with excellent results. Everything ran smoothly just as it should. 

The problem now is that my WiFi range is severly limited since the satellite unit is off. 

Message 4 of 10
_Mac
Tutor

Hi @PyroDog

Good bug-hinting! I have the Orbi Pro to (router SRR60 + satellite SRS60). Got same issues with my Orbi Pro (my second one, already replace one set). Will try to only run on the Router and turn off the sattelite.

Netgear support have also suggested that the units are to close to each other and therefore block each other out. Will try this and get back to you here w the result...

ALSO,

Regarding your streaming issues, have you read this thread? There is a another possible solution. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Streaming-problems-with-Orbi-Firmware-versions-v1-12-0-18-and-...

But to do the above solution, you need to downgrade your Orbi pro's to the older FW v1.11.0.20. Other users w Orbi 40 & Orbi 50 have resolved there streaming issues this way.

I tried to do this downgrade today, but I couldn't find the old FW version 1.11.0.20 for Orbi Pro anywhere, only newer version and no legacy FW. Maybe you know where to find it? (Read my replies on the above post before answering pls).

Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 5 of 10
PyroDog
Apprentice

Whoa, I wish some day I can have a 1Gb fiber connection to my home.

Here is the gist of it: You won't be able to get the full 1Gb speed on WiFi. This is because current WiFi technology is limited to sub 1Gb speeds. 

If your network gets better with the satellite unit off; it would be a strong indicator that the Orbi units are interfering with each other. Orbi units are designed to be quite far appart but not too far apart as to weaken the communication between the units. On the other hand, they can't be too close either because they will interfere with each other. Finding this sweet spot could be challenging.

I would suggest you move the units farther apart. In my case, this is not an option as the units are already where I absolutely need them to be. What I did instead is to turn the Transmit Power Control of the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals down to 50%. This is equivalent to moving the units farther away from each other without reducing the back-haul connection strength between the Orbi units. You might need to experiment with the percentages depending on your setup. This single change alone has cleared all my packet loss over WiFI with both units powered on. In theory, my total WiFi range has diminished but apparently not enough for me to notice it. 

Message 6 of 10
Sandspike
Star

I returned mine for the same reasons.  Made my VOIP office line ring like crazy (Calls that you can't answer), caused major issues with PS4 Party chat (severe latency and lag), and overall the throughput on my network went into the toilet.  All of these devices were hard wired.....and the previous router (Netgear R7000 running Tomato firmware) never had these issues, and didn't have them when I put it back in place.  The Orbi appears to be a deeply flawed product.  I wanted to like it.....but alas no.....

My internet is AT&T Fiber 1G.

Message 7 of 10
BarryTreg
Apprentice

I've been getting the packet loss..been casuing a lot of strife not being able to nail it down...thought it was caused by our NBN (Australia's National Broadband Network) as that has publicised congestion duing peak times and its HFC challenges. Because of other issues as mentioned in this community re dropouts etc I relegated my orbi to an AP, (with both wired and wireless backhaul ) and today I've removed it totally and so far the packet losses have dissappeared. Looks currently like it's been an Orbi issue all along. 

Message 8 of 10
BarryTreg
Apprentice

My issue isn't the Orbi.....I've completeley removed it from my setup and regular as clockwork, the packet losses still kicked in at 6:15 PM. 

Message 9 of 10
PyroDog
Apprentice

After a few hours, the packet loss came back even after the change I made. Long story short: I ended up downgrading back to V2.0.0.74 where the issues is gone entirely. Beamforming and Fast Roaming are enabled in my configuration without issues. I hope this helps somebody.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7