Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Page Timeouts, streaming issues?

Carnaged
Tutor

Page Timeouts, streaming issues?

Hi,

I bought this system on Wednesday and I am getting the coverage that I wanted which is great but I am having some weird timeout problems with the internet that wern't present before, this is on my IOS devices and I can see that there have been mention of issues with IOS on this system. Let me clarify, i'm not having full disconnects, its just pages timing out, however when watching videos back from my remote Plex server I am having issues as well with buffering which did not happen before.

My wifi connection is full and connected when this happens, for the timeouts usually a refresh sorts those out, as for the Plex issues, as most of the stuff I watch is direct playback it needs to have a solid connection and any interruption affects the quality.

My Orbi units are not overlapping too much as one is in a summerhouse and the other is in the house, opposite end.

Any thoughts?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Sounds like you might need to move your Orbi router and satellite units closer together, or place them near a window to get better signal.  The satellite units need to maintain a solid 5 GHz backhaul connection to the router, or you will experience problems like you describe.

Message 2 of 6
Carnaged
Tutor

This is happening when I'm using the router inside with a good wifi connection. I have disabled IPv6 in case that is causing an issue. I don't think it's the distance that's the issue

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 6
st_shaw
Master

No way to tell unless you provide more information.  Need to know where the router and satellite sit, how far apart, where the problem client is relative to router and satellite.  You also need to check whether the problem client is connected to the router or satellite when the problem occurs. 

Your client could have have a perfect WiFi connection to the satellite, but if the connection between satellite and router is poor you will have issues. 

Please provide some more details so someone can help you. 

Message 4 of 6
Carnaged
Tutor

I am sat inside connected to the router, in the same room via my ipad, I am watching a Plex video and it keeps coming up and telling me that my connection to the server is not fast enough to stream the media, the media is of low bitrate and although the server is remote I can max out my download connection to it so thats not the issue. This is the sort of thing that is happening.

The router is in the right hand side of my living room where it enters the house, this is a UK 3 bedroom semi detached house so not massive, I have the Satellite in a summerhouse in the garden, when I connect to the the satellite I have a solid blue connection and nothing is currently connected. I can max out my 70Mbps both in my house and the lounge but I keep getting connection problems.

Update,

When trying the same video wired I don't have the buffering issues or any playback issues at all.

Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Ok.  Helpful, but still unclear on several critical details.

1. Did you confirm your iPad is connected to the Orbi router by looking at the list of connected devices on the Orbi GUI? It's possible your iPad is connecting to the satellite in the summerhouse, so you need to confirm explicitly.

2. You say the Plex server is remote. Where is the Plex server located--on your LAN or on the Internet?  How is the Plex server connected--wired or wirelessly? If wired, is it wired to the Orbi router or satellite.  If wireless, then you need to confirm whether it is connected to the router or the satellite by reviewing the list of attached devices.

3. How far apart is your Orbi router and satellite?

4. How many walls are between the router and satellite, and what is their construction?

5. Is your problem only with this Plex server?  Do you have any issues watching youtube videos,  etc., on the iPad?

6. Have you scanned for neighboring WiFi and set your Orbi on channnels that are not used by your neighbors? Your issue could be interference from neighbors' WiFi. If your house is semi-detached, you must have neighbors very close.  Channel management is very important.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7