Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pair/Connect wifi devices

nsapcor
Tutor

Pair/Connect wifi devices

I am preparing to purchase the Orbi WI 6, router AX6000 with (2) RBK satellites. I have several wifi devices (thermostats, lights, sprinkler, etc.) with my current router. To elimate the need to pair, can I change the network name of the new Orbi router to that of the network name of the existing router and use the old password as the new one? In other words, will the existing devices automatically recognize the Orbi with these changes?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Pair/Connect wifi devices

Please post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

@nsapcor wrote:

I am preparing to purchase the Orbi WI 6, router AX6000 with (2) RBK satellites. I have several wifi devices (thermostats, lights, sprinkler, etc.) with my current router. To elimate the need to pair, can I change the network name of the new Orbi router to that of the network name of the existing router and use the old password as the new one? In other words, will the existing devices automatically recognize the Orbi with these changes?

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38is correct that questions about the new AX product are more likely to be answered in the AX forum.

However, I can confirm that the last three times I replaced a WiFi router, I gave the new router exactly the said SSID andpassword, and every device automatically connected to it.  I confess to not knowing how WPS connections "work", as I have never connected something that way. Those devices may have to be "re-WPS'd", but that's what the button is for.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

I can confirm that the last three times I replaced a WiFi router, I gave the new router exactly the said SSID and password, and every device automatically connected to it. 

Definitively the process to go!.

@CrimpOn wrote:

I confess to not knowing how WPS connections "work", as I have never connected something that way. Those devices may have to be "re-WPS'd", but that's what the button is for.

In the very early days, WPS put up a new key on the router and the client (yeah, that was from the times where users had one wireless device), later some controls were added to "keep the security configuration/key". Since then, WPS does exchange the current security settings, including the very same password/key. There is no need to re-WPS, permitting there is no overly "smart" client which does want to connect to one BSSID (access point wireless MAC) address.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7