Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Parental Controls not working

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Parental Controls not working

With all of the other Orbi issues I've been experiencing this has been a low prioritiy. For months I've not been able to get the Parental Controls working on my Orbi on various firmware versions.

When I go through the wizard in the Genie application and get to the Open DNS login it just gets stuck there saying there was an error signing in. My Open DNS login definitely works but I've also tried resetting the password and setting up a new account. I've tried the Genie app on Windows, Mac and iOS.

In the end I've manually enabled Open DNS by changing the DNS servers but that doesn't allow me the granular control that the Parental Controls promise.

I've seen this problem on multiple Netgear threads going back years for several devices but never a definitive solution. Any ideas?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 10
rajis
Guide

Re: Parental Controls not working

I have the same issue and my experience has been the same.  The only thing that seems to help is resetting the Orbi back to factory condition and even then it only works for. a short while before going back to the same behavior.  But the constant reset and restores are getting tiring.

I'm currently running 2.0.0.73 and LPC are broken there.  Before that I was on 1.10.1.2 and that one was working fine.

Message 2 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Rajis and adrewery

I sent you Pms

Message 3 of 10
rajis
Guide

Thanks Darren, I'll take a look at this tonight when I get home and let you know how it goes. 

Message 4 of 10
rajis
Guide

HI DarrenM, sent you a PM back

Message 5 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I installed v2.0.0.74 this weekend and did a factory reset. I've setup Parental Controls and so far, so good. The problem did usually take a few days to appear so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Message 6 of 10
psimondo
Star

Exactly the same issue. OpenDNS credentials simply cannot be entered in the genie app on any Apple platform. It just spins forever on iOS or kicks an error on Mac.

I’ll try a complete factory reset and see what happens.
Message 7 of 10
psimondo
Star

Ok. I did a factory reset and could then login with my NetGear OpenDNS login.

However, it doesn't work at all anyway.

* I set the default filtering to low. 

* I then went to a device in the network map and set that device to Moderate. It saved.

* Go back an hour later and look at that device and it's back to default filter settings.

I tried many devices in my house. Same issue. It doesn't stick at all.

I then tried making the default Moderate and then going to devices to make them lower. It then suddenly says my own device is using a ByPass account and I need to log out of that. Well I NEVER set up a bypass account at all, so WTF? (I then tried setting up a bypass account so I could log out of the thing I never created and never logged in as... didnt work)

Then I went to bed. Woke up and opened up Genie and it asked me to log in with my Netgear OpenDNS login again because it seems to have forgotten I did anything. Oh but now I can't log in at all! I'm back to the same 'cant log in at all' stuff that I had to do a factory reset to fix.

TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY BROKEN. Truly false advertising. What a waste of money and time so far.

Message 8 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My parental controls worked fine for a few weeks and now I'm getting the same problem again. Only a complete reset and manually setting up the Orbi again will fix it. So frustrating. @DarrenM

Message 9 of 10
psimondo
Star

Parental controls absolutely do not work, except very briefly. When they break you need to do a factory reset.

DO NOT BUY AN ORBI IF YOU WANT THE PEOMISED PARENTAL CONTROLS.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7