Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Parental controls revert to not enabled

atlpaul
Aspirant

Parental controls revert to not enabled

I have an RBR20 with two satellites and have had constant issues with the parental controls, which was the primary reason I chose Orbi over other mesh offerings. The parental controls will go to a not enabled status and that means I have to pair the app and completey redo all the settings since the backups won't restore after this happens. I opened a support case with Netgear and they had me do a manual firmware update which didn't work and then a factory reset, which did seem to work, but now the problem has started hapenning again. At the time, I was told that if the reset didn't work, the unit would need to be replaced. I contacted support and they are now saying that the unit is out of warranty and I'd have to purchase a support contract, but even if I do that and they determine the unit is defective the only thing they will do is to refund me for the support contract. I'm very unhappy with their support since they won't honor the warranty given that the case was originally opened while the product was still under warranty. I don't want to purchase a contract, only to redo the same steps I did previously.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Parental controls revert to not enabled

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you using Armor or Circle? 

@Blanca_O 

Message 2 of 5
atlpaul
Aspirant

My firmware is V2.5.1.16 and I have AT&T fiber. The modem is an Arris BGW-210-700 setup in passthrough (bridge) mode. I'm using the built-in Circle parental controls and have a paid subscription. From a wifi and internet standpoint, everything is fine, but the parental controls won't stay working. They may work fine for a week or two and then I go in to the Circle app to make a change and I get a message that it can't detect a circle device. I then log onto the router and see that parental controls show as not enabled. If I set it all up again, I have to start from scratch with the Circle settings which is rather painful to do because it's so hard to idenfity the various devices inside Circle. Even though you can backup your Circle settings, they never restore after this happens. Parental controls aren't much good if they constantly get turned off.

I'm pretty annoyed with Netgear since I opened a ticket while under warranty, but now my warranty has expired and they won't continue to address the issue. This wasn't a cheap router and Circle was the entire reason I chose the Orbi. I will definitely quit recommending Netgear to friends when asked.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please contact a forum moderator to help you out. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the Circle app forum as well:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7