Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Parental controls

kiwibattler
Aspirant

Parental controls

I have just purchased an Orbi RBK23 and want to know how to set up the Parental Control to turn off selected (kids) devices at a set time. When I log in as Admin the Parental Control is saying "Not Supported". Can I turn on or do I need to access another service to turn on? 

Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

@kiwibattler wrote:

....... When I log in as Admin the Parental Control is saying "Not Supported". Can I turn on or do I need to access another service to turn on? 

Thanks

If Orbi is setup in AP mode then Parental Control is not supported. Is your Orbi set in Router or AP Mode?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Might start here and review this:

https://www.netgear.com/lpc

@kiwibattler wrote:

I have just purchased an Orbi RBK23 and want to know how to set up the Parental Control to turn off selected (kids) devices at a set time. When I log in as Admin the Parental Control is saying "Not Supported". Can I turn on or do I need to access another service to turn on? 

Thanks

Message 2 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@kiwibattler wrote:

....... When I log in as Admin the Parental Control is saying "Not Supported". Can I turn on or do I need to access another service to turn on? 

Thanks

If Orbi is setup in AP mode then Parental Control is not supported. Is your Orbi set in Router or AP Mode?

Message 3 of 11
kiwibattler
Aspirant

A-ha, that makes sense. Let me check that out tonight when home from work. (I am based in Australia so delay in responding). 

Is there any detrimental affect by running in Router mode? I put in AP Mode as per instruction video. 

Thank you so much for your feedback. 

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@kiwibattler wrote:

Is there any detrimental affect by running in Router mode? I put in AP Mode as per instruction video. 

There can be problems if the Orbi is in router mode and is connected to another router.  This is called a "double NAT" and makes all sorts of networking applications fail.  (Not everything: My Orbi was behind another router for over a year and I noticed nothing wrong.  But then I was not trying to VPN, forward ports, etc. etc. etc.)

People on the forum recommend having only one router.  Pick the easiest solution:

1. Install the Orbi as an access point (AP).  Alas, when you do this none of the Orbi "router functions" work.
  2. Put the device that the Orbi is connected to into "bridge" or "pass-through" mode.  i.e. make it "only a modem". No WiFi.  No routing.  Most of the time, the internet service company has been asked to do this hundreds (thousands?) of times and will say, "no problem."  Then the Orbi becomes the only router and all of the router functions work.
  3. (And this is absolutely the "last resort"), create a "DMZ" on the primary router and have it point to the Orbi.  So, everything that comes into the primary router also goes to the Orbi.  I do not (personally) remember anyone saying they did this and were happy.

Great that you thought to ask first.

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. We know for a fact that the Orbi is behind a router because it worked in AP mode.  If there were no router, the Orbi would not have worked.

Message 6 of 11
kiwibattler
Aspirant

Thank you very much. I am running off another (non-netgear) router so will play around with it and work through the best solution. In saying that I do not need to VPN or anything so should be ok. 

Thanks for your detailed response. I now feel armed to remedy the problem. 

Have a good day/evening.

Message 7 of 11
kiwibattler
Aspirant

Thank you again. I have officially worked out I need to have my existing Router set up as a bridge to function properly. Working through it...

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

After you get things all setup, do a Backup configuration to file for safe keeping. In case you have to reset the router for any reason, you'll be back up and running in no time after you load the back up file. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@kiwibattler wrote:

Thank you again. I have officially worked out I need to have my existing Router set up as a bridge to function properly. Working through it...

Message 9 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@kiwibattler wrote:

The following are the features that you get in Orbi when in Router Mode as opposed to when in AP Mode:

• QoS
  • Setup Wizard
  • Port Forwarding/Port Triggering
  • Remote Management
  • UPnP
  • IPv6
  • Traffic Meter
  • Parental Controls
  • Block Sites
  • Block Services
  • VPN service
  • VLAN/IPTV setup