Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Part backhaul ethernet and part WiFi

NDH
Aspirant
Aspirant

Part backhaul ethernet and part WiFi

Hey all 😁

i have the AC2200 kit arriving tomorrow (router plus 2 satellites), and was looking for an answer I can’t find. 

Ill have the router set up as an AP next to the old sky router (UK). 

One satellite will will be connected wirelessly upstairs, and I was hoping the other could be connected via Ethernet (from a new office in the garage).

Can you do that? If so, would the Ethernet from the satellite need to be plugged into the Orbi router or the Sky router?

Thanks in advance 😁 

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8
BBB73
Apprentice

Re: Part backhaul ethernet and part WiFi

Hi, yes that shoukd work.

i have combination of wired and wireless backhaul. In my situation the satellite is connected to Orbi but should also work with router, according to this link

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can have a mix of wired and wireless connected satellites. 

The satellites need to be connected to the Orbi regardless. 

Daisy Chain should be disabled if you connect wired RBSs. 

@NDH wrote:

Hey all 😁

i have the AC2200 kit arriving tomorrow (router plus 2 satellites), and was looking for an answer I can’t find. 

Ill have the router set up as an AP next to the old sky router (UK). 

One satellite will will be connected wirelessly upstairs, and I was hoping the other could be connected via Ethernet (from a new office in the garage).

Can you do that? If so, would the Ethernet from the satellite need to be plugged into the Orbi router or the Sky router?

Thanks in advance 😁 

Message 3 of 8
NDH
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks 😄

I'm all set up now, and it's working great.

I haven't actively disabled daisy chain? Do I need to do that?

I have the router plugged into my Sky Hub via ethernet (wifi off on sky hub).

1st Satellite is wireless in the lounge.

2nd Satellite is wireless upstairs, but it is connected via ethernet to the PS4 (which gives a quicker connection that when the powerline was connected to the PS4!)

What should I change?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

It would be recommended to disable Daisy Chain if you seem to exhibit problems. 

FYI about your modem:

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 5 of 8
NDH
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you 🙂

I've just configued the Orbi to AP mode - I'm with Sky (UK) and they are notroious for not letting customers use their own kit.

I think the restrictions have relaced slightly, so if anyone knows how to put the Sky Hub into transparent bridge mode, I'd love to know!

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8
NDH
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey again 😀

I’ve searched for this, and your answer seems to pop up quite often.

I’m currently using the Orbi router in AP mode (because the Sky Hub is a nightmare and doesn’t support modem only mode).

But this removes some of the Orbi router functionality (like switching off devices from the Orbi app).

I see you mention adding the Orbi Router IP address into the default DMZ field on the Sky IP page (portal).

Is there anything else I need to do? I turned off DHCP on the sky page as well (as I saw I needed to do that), but not IPv6 or anything.

This basically bricked everything and made the internet unusable (couldn’t log back into the Sky portal), but the Orbi was still broadcasting a signal (just couldn’t actually use the internet).

So did I miss something out?

Also, is this a better way of configuring it over simply using the Orbi in AP mode?

Thanks in advance!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7