Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Password Reset

dchbbc
Apprentice

Password Reset

Hi

I am trying to reset my password on my Orbi Router. I tried the PW that I thought I used and it said no. I tried the PW on the router and it said no. I tried to answer the questions to reset it and it said they were wrong (My first NETGEAR product...Orbi and my sister's name....I think I would know that). I don't know what else I can do.

I have my guest network disabled (My network name is DavidHome) and in my list of networks I'm seeing DavidHome-Guest with no password protection on it. It was never there before and I never set one up. So I'm trying to access the Orbi online to see if there is something set there that I don't know about.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dchbbc

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

You may have to factory reset the router for you to access the settings page. 

It appears that the latest firmware defaulted the Guest network to turn on. This was also observed by other users. To resolve this, we would have to access the Orbi settings page and disable Guest network. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dchbbc

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

You may have to factory reset the router for you to access the settings page. 

It appears that the latest firmware defaulted the Guest network to turn on. This was also observed by other users. To resolve this, we would have to access the Orbi settings page and disable Guest network. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dchbbc

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 7
BabyButts3
Aspirant

I don’t know how to manually reset my password
Message 4 of 7

@BabyButts3 wrote:
I don’t know how to manually reset my password

What's the device you need to reset?

Look on the back.

Is there a little hole labelled Reset? If so, insert the end of a paperclip and press for about 10 seconds.

That puts the device back to its "out of the box" state. Then you can set it up from scratch.

Message 5 of 7
DSweatyB
Initiate

On Firmware V2.2.1.210 

Product RBR50

Why is it asking me for my sister (which I don't have one) and first netgear product (who remembers that)?

I have over 20 devices connected. I really have to reset my router to gain access to orbilogin.com? 

Please tell me the smart people at Netgear came up with a solution by now.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 6 of 7

There is a bug in some devices in Netgear's implementation of password recovery. You can get locked into a close loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process because you can't answer the questions.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

@DSweatyB wrote:

Please tell me the smart people at Netgear came up with a solution by now.

They may have, but without knowing what you are doing and what happens it is anyone's guess as to which answer applies to you.

By the way, you have joined in on an older discussion so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7