Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Password Reset -

KMWNAZ
Tutor

Password Reset -

Somehow user and password are not working.  any way to reset it easily?  I've read that logging into Mynetgear and the registered product can elect to "reset password" but that option doesn't appear to be available?  The Orbi is in bridge mode so apparently using the app is also not available?  Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
KMWNAZ
Tutor

Re: Password Reset -

Yes, I've been using the word "bridge" apparently incorrectly for AP mode.  This is how it was setup before I could not get back in.  Still not sure what cause the original password that was set to  not work.  Nonetless I reset it, an dreconfigured it to where it was.  Appreciate everyones willingness to help.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16

All Replies
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

If you can't find an alternative option, find a paper clip and Factory Reset is your best friend.  The default username/password is at the bottom of Orbi.  You can change the password afterward.

Message 2 of 16
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @KMWNAZ

If you are unable to log into the router settings page then there is an option to recover the System's admin password. Here's the reference: https://kb.netgear.com/31016/

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@SW_ wrote:

If you can't find an alternative option, find a paper clip and Factory Reset is your best friend.  The default username/password is at the bottom of Orbi.  You can change the password afterward.

Maybe I am missing the point of the question.  The default WiFi SSID and password are on the bottom label. The default administrative user is "admin" and the default password is "password".  So, a person who does not have a computer which can connect to the Orbi with an ethernet cable must (1) factory reset using the paperclip, (2) connect to WiFi using the credentials on the label, then (3) set up the Orbi from scratch.   I have used the option to recover the Orbi password, but it was months and months ago.  As I recall, being able to correctly answer the security questions was a key step in the process.

Message 4 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@CrimpOn , thanks for clarifying!

I'm referring to the default username/password for WiFi setup, which can be found at the bottom of the Orbi's sticker.

Message 5 of 16

@KMWNAZ wrote:

I've read that logging into Mynetgear and the registered product can elect to "reset password" ....

Where did you read that?

You don't say which Orbi device you are using, or which passwords you want to change.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Search the manual for "password" and it will explain what to do with the various passwords that you can have on these devices.

Message 6 of 16
KMWNAZ
Tutor

Blanca, thanks for the rpely.  I am not able to log into orbilogin.com I believe it is becasue the router is set to bridge mode. 

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to factory reset the Orbi and walk thru the setup wizard and setup the router from scratch. This time be sure to write down all important information for safe keeping and later use. 

@KMWNAZ wrote:

Blanca, thanks for the rpely.  I am not able to log into orbilogin.com I believe it is becasue the router is set to bridge mode. 

Message 8 of 16
KMWNAZ
Tutor

Thanks for your help.

@KMWNAZ wrote:

I've read that logging into Mynetgear and the registered product can elect to "reset password" ....

Where did you read that? I read this here https://kb.netgear.com/000059608/How-do-I-reset-the-admin-password-on-my-NETGEAR-router

You don't say which Orbi device you are using, or which passwords you want to change.

Sorry it's RBR50-100NAS

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support<<<<

Search the manual for "password" and it will explain what to do with the various passwords that you can have on these devices.

This doesn't appear to workfor me as the Orbiis set to bridge mode.

Message 9 of 16

@KMWNAZ wrote:

I am not able to log into orbilogin.com I believe it is becasue the router is set to bridge mode. 

Bridge mode is a confusing label, especially when applied to routers.

Is it a wifi bridge between a router and clients?

The Orbi manual refers to bridge mode for a very different setting.

Bridge mode is also used to describe disabling the router bit of a  modem.

You may mean wireless access point mode. In which case there are other ways into the Orbi.

I see no mention of the modem that you use. My guess is that this is the cause of the problem.

You may be yet another victim of "Double NAT"

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 10 of 16
KMWNAZ
Tutor

I am pretty sure it is indeed  set to bridge mode as the router (An Apple Extreme) I am using is in the main building and the ORBI is in another building hardwire connected and in bridge mode. It does not issue IP addresses.  The iPhone app does not work either as It appearently doesn't recognise that the wirelss network is set by the Apple Exterme and the ORBI is merely a satellite.

Message 11 of 16

@KMWNAZ wrote:

I am pretty sure it is indeed  set to bridge mode

Yes, but what does that mean?

...the router (An Apple Extreme) I am using is in the main building and the ORBI is in another building hardwire connected and in bridge mode.

Which bit is in bridge mode? Apple Extreme? Orbi?

I assume that "hardwire connected" means that there is a LAN cable from the Apple to the Orbi.

It does not issue IP addresses.  The iPhone app does not work either as It appearently doesn't recognise that the wirelss network is set by the Apple Exterme and the ORBI is merely a satellite.

That smells like a double NAT issue.

What does "merely a satellite" mean.

In Orbi speak, "satellite" means just that, a separate satellite that runs off the main Orbi "hub". That hub can be a router or a router in AP mode. It cannot be just a satellite because Orbi satellites do not work without a hub.

Your RBR50 is not, and cannot be, "merely a satellite". It can be an AP.

If it feeds other bits of Orbi kit they are satellites.

We won't get much further if you just keep saying "bridge".

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

A configuration should look like this:

ISP Modem>Apple Router in router mode>Orbi in AP mode. 

Message 13 of 16
KMWNAZ
Tutor

Yes, I've been using the word "bridge" apparently incorrectly for AP mode.  This is how it was setup before I could not get back in.  Still not sure what cause the original password that was set to  not work.  Nonetless I reset it, an dreconfigured it to where it was.  Appreciate everyones willingness to help.

Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got the Orbi working again. Please mark your post as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 16
kurlik
Aspirant

+

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements