Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Password reset not working

jwhelan70
Tutor

Password reset not working

The password reset just doest work.   it asks me for my serial, the 2 secret question.   blink a new password at mico second spend the crashes.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
bwoogs
Aspirant

I was able to work around this bug by recording my screen during the recovery process. From there simply pause the video at the point where it flashes the new password.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

I have changed password a number of times.  The security questions are because the box is checked "Enable Password Reset".  The security questions/answers are sent to Netgear along with the serial number so that a password reset can be performed if the user has forgotten the password.  (Or, sincerely meant to type it in one way and accidentally made the same typo two times.)  This has "saved my bacon" at least once.  The truly paranoid person who doesn't want Netgear to know anything clears the box and goes without this feature.

I guess we should confirm whether the topic is (a) From the web interface, Advanced Tab, Administration, Set Password, or (b) the Orbi is rejecting connection and the user is attempting to use the security reset mechanism.  If (b) is the case and the user cannot get past it, then it is time to get out the paperclip and set it up from scratch.

Message 2 of 9
jwhelan70
Tutor

yeah, I know about the serial number  and security questions.   I anwer them correclty.    I click ok,  its looks like its going to work, flash the new password quicker than a blink, and then it crashes.      I tested this on # laptop and a PC.  Orbi crashes everytime.  it work let me reset the password.  I know my serial number  and security questions very well,  I enter them in correctly,  Orbi says I enter them correclty.   the issue Orbi crashes and does work.

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

It doesn't seem like there are many options.  The only thing left is a "factory reset".  Pain in the rear, for sure.

Message 4 of 9

@jwhelan70 wrote:

yeah, I know about the serial number  and security questions.   I anwer them correclty.

But did you actually set them up with your answers?

There is a bug in some devices in Netgear's implementation of password recovery. You can get locked into a close loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process because you can't answer the questions.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

Message 5 of 9
Lobotommy1976
Initiate

I have the same issue.

I enter the correct answers to the security questions and it will display the admin password for a split second and than it goes back to the password recovery page!

Serious bug in my opinion!

rgds,

Tommy

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try IE11, Firefox or Opera. Besure to clear out all browser caches and try again. 

Do the Factory reset and walk thru the setup wizard. Ensure you write down all important information. Complete the wizard and all should work after that. 

@Lobotommy1976 wrote:

I have the same issue.

I enter the correct answers to the security questions and it will display the admin password for a split second and than it goes back to the password recovery page!

Serious bug in my opinion!

rgds,

Tommy

Message 7 of 9
bwoogs
Aspirant

I was able to work around this bug by recording my screen during the recovery process. From there simply pause the video at the point where it flashes the new password.

Message 8 of 9
Lobotommy1976
Initiate

😁 i idid exactly the same thing a few days ago!
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7