Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Password reset

LoraMae
Aspirant

Password reset

I'm terrible with message boards but hopeful that someone will help.  I have to do all this at work because we now have no wifi at home.  Something happened and Orbi50 no longer works.  I can use ethernet to connect to my modem and I know that the modem is not our problem.  Orbi worked for the last 3 months just fine and suddenly, we're having problems.  I decided to just start over with Orbi.  I used the QR scan and pretended to start from scratch.  When using my cell phone to manage this, I get to the part to enter the password and the orginal default password doesn't work.  I get an error message.  I tried the password I changed it to when I first set up Orbi.  It doesn't work.  I tried the network password I had it set to when the system went down and it doesn't work.  I'm so frustrated and have nobody to ask.  The message boards give me too much detailed info and I'm not skilled enough to interpret this info.  We paid a lot for this system with its satelites last spring and now it seems useless.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Password reset

Please factory reset the Orbi router and use either a ethernet wired PC or a wireless PC connected to the router. Then connect to the routers log in web page at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com and walk thru the set up wizard. This time filling all important information, write this information down someplace for safe keeping if needed.

Message 2 of 8
LoraMae
Aspirant

I've tried to establish a new account. Even when using a new email and starting over, I get the same password error message that states password unchanged.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you resetting the router and walking thru the setup wizard on the router? 

Message 4 of 8
LoraMae
Aspirant

When I connect my laptop with our moden to bypass Orbi, I get Internet. I put 192.... into the browser I get router info but I can't navigate. With Linksys I had no problem using 192... to help solve hookup. With Orbi, I have to manage everything via cell phone. I've tried so many things. I have deleted the ap on my phone, made cell phone forget the network, tried to est a new account with different email. I always get to the sane point and can't move forward. A few times I used the original email and set up new network and my adminstrative password appeared to work. I was sent a pin to my email. Once I put the pin into my cell phone, I got an error message. I believe if I could manage this thru my laptop using the router, it might work. Research on a cell phone is difficult.
Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Please forgive me if I do not understand the situation.  In my case, I have NEVER used a cell phone app to manage my ORBI (router and satellite).  I simply open a web browser and connect to 192.168.1.1.  It asks for user name ('admin') and password.  If it doesn't take my password, I use a paperclip to reset the ORBI to "factory settings" and enter the password that is printed on the router.  I recognize that the trend these days is to do everything possible using a cell phone app, but I'm an "old codger" and find the web interface works for me.  This avoids having anything to do with Netgear user accounts.  In my case, I prefer using a web browser on my Windows machine. A Mac would be fine, too.  (I have used Chrome on my tablet, but do not like entering data on the tablet.)

Have you tried using a web browser?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 8

@LoraMae wrote:
When I connect my laptop with our moden to bypass Orbi, I get Internet. I put 192.... into the browser I get router info but I can't navigate. With Linksys I had no problem using 192... to help solve hookup.

Go back to basics. Stop messing around with things that will only worse n the situation. Like setting up new accounts,.

The first thing to do is to restart the whole network.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

I see no mention of the modem that sits in front of this network. That could be important too.

Message 7 of 8

@CrimpOn wrote:

I recognize that the trend these days is to do everything possible using a cell phone app, but I'm an "old codger" and find the web interface works for me. 

Great advice. Avoid the use of toys that get in the way of what you are trying to do.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7