Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Passwords - netgear cloud and netgear router

mikebees
Guide

Passwords - netgear cloud and netgear router

Problem: I can get it into my router w my user  / password on the app but not if I login directly.

- I have tried different browswers

- I have tried different login methodes - local Ipaddress and orbilogin.com / net

? - Are the passwords for the app / cloud the same as for the router?

?  - on the router is the username always admin?

? - If I reset the pass via the app witll it reset the pass in the cloud AND on the router (to login in directly)?

FWIW

- my security questions on the router dont seem to be working - I did set answers

Any help direction would be helpful

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Passwords - netgear cloud and netgear router

Netgear has created quite a mess.  The Orbi web interface and the Orbi "app" are entirely different.

Using a web browser to http://orbilogin.net, the user name is always "admin" and cannot be changed.  The password was originally "password", but the user is urged (almost forced) to change it during setup.

The "app" uses the Netgear user login of email address/password.  My impression is that changing password in the "app" has nothing to do with the Orbi web interface.

Message 2 of 5
mikebees
Guide

Thanks for your quick reply. So, just to clarify - To your understanding, one may be able to change things in the app and reset the app password, but unless one paperclip resets the router, in my case where security questions are failling, one may never be able to access the router directly?

And, there is no way to reset the security questions via the app?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

My understanding matches your experience.  When web login credentials are rejected three times in a row, Orbi brings up the Password Recovery option.  (It DOES work.  I have used it myself, but that was months ago.)  When that doesn't work, I know of no other method but the paperclip.

Message 4 of 5
mikebees
Guide

Just to follow up for people searching for clarification in the future. 

1.  Your app/cloud/netgear.com password is different and has different reset mechanisms than your local password. So cloud and local passwords

2. If you reset your cloud password it takes a bit to propogate to the app. Closing the app, rebooting the phone, ... helps with this clarification

3. Local passwords have the security questions to reset. 

4. Local passwords allow you to have access to the router's local interface which is much more detailed than the app. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7