Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Pentair Protocol Adaptor

Zeke73
Aspirant

Pentair Protocol Adaptor

I'm having trouble updating the firmware of a network attached device (Pentair Protocol Adaptor) with my new mesh network.

The firmware updating program states that the device needs to be on the same subnet as my PC.  I have the router in the automatic address assigning mode, but the device is assigned an completely different address 10.0.1.72 than my PC 192.168.1.30.

I can't figure out how to get the device to be on the same subnet. I tried reserving an address for my device's MAC address after rebooting and reseting the device, yet no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Zeke73
Aspirant

I figured out how to get a temporary static IP address for my PC and was then able to communicate with the device on the same subnet.

Firmware updated successfully. Now I can reconfigure the device to DHCP assigned addresses. 

Back in business.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Zeke73 wrote:

I'm having trouble updating the firmware of a network attached device (Pentair Protocol Adaptor) with my new mesh network.

The firmware updating program states that the device needs to be on the same subnet as my PC.  I have the router in the automatic address assigning mode, but the device is assigned an completely different address 10.0.1.72 than my PC 192.168.1.30.

Alas, a brief Google search did not turn up information about "Pentair Protocol Adapter".  Perhaps a model number would help.

What I have done in extreme situations is disconnect my PC from the network, connect it directly to the device with a "crossover" cable (or hook both devices to a switch that is not connected to anything else), and give my PC a static IP of 10.0.1.x.  That way, they both are in the same subnet.  They talk to each other.  So, it you have either a switch or a crossover cable, you are "in business."  You should be able to update the firmware.

NOW, with the new firmware, the pool device needs to be connected to the Orbi, or it cannot do anything.  Maybe with new firmware and a "factory reset", it will connect OK?

Message 2 of 5
Zeke73
Aspirant

Sorry for being such a newbie, but how do I assign my PC a static IP address (temporary or otherwise).

I tried changing the address assignment on my router but that just made the internet inacessible.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I'm sorry.  I have taken the discussion in the wrong direction.  The correct "first step" is to determine how this device communicates.  Does it have an ethernet port, or does it have only WiFi?  My method for firmware update works ONLY if the PC and device can be connected over ethernet.  The trick is to remove both devices from the network (i.e. they can't talk to anything but themselves), do the firmware update, and then put the devices back on the regular network.  Without an ethernet port, that trick is impossible.  Hence the question about model number.  I was lookiing for the hardware specs and User Manual for the device.

Probably a more productive effort is to figure out how the device is getting an IP address of 10.0.1.72  If the Orbi DHCP is assigning IP's in the typical range of 192.168.1.x, the that IP address is not comiing from the Orbi.  Is there another WiFi system active in the house?

Message 4 of 5
Zeke73
Aspirant

I figured out how to get a temporary static IP address for my PC and was then able to communicate with the device on the same subnet.

Firmware updated successfully. Now I can reconfigure the device to DHCP assigned addresses. 

Back in business.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7