Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Performance of Orbi in AP mode with Actiontec MI424WR on FIOS

QL
Tutor
Tutor

Performance of Orbi in AP mode with Actiontec MI424WR on FIOS

hi,

My FIOS router is Actiontec MI424WR with coax connection. If I plan to use Orbi, it has to be in AP mode.

If so, will the performance suffer? wired or wireless.

My FIOS router is in my basement. my house has 2 stories with 3500 sqft.

thanks!

Message 1 of 11
st_shaw
Master

You can put the FiOS router into bridged mode. That's how I use mine.  Certain features will not work if you have FiOS TV though.

Message 2 of 11
QL
Tutor
Tutor

thanks.

I dont have FIOS TV service.

How's the performance you got?

Message 3 of 11
st_shaw
Master

Perfformance is great.  I have symmetric 85M/85M FiOS service and have no problem getting the full speed with the Verizon router in bridged mode.  (I have an Edgerouter and Unifi APs though.  My Orbi is at another site, where I have DSL service.)

If you have no TV, then you can put the modem into bridge mode and run Orbi in router mode with no loss of functionality.  You can also have Verizon switch the ONT to Ethernet and run Cat5e from the ONT to Orbi.

If you have a dynamic WAN IP you might need to call Verizon and have them release the IP from your old router, or make some other change to allow Orbi to pickup the WAN IP.

Message 4 of 11
QL
Tutor
Tutor

very helpful info!

thanks a lot.

Message 5 of 11
whsbuss-1
Apprentice

Even with FiOS TV service and the ActionTec you can run Orbi in AP mode. When I had mine setup performance was outstanding. I let the ActionTec do the routing & DHCP but did use a static IP (outside the DHCP range of the ActionTec) for the Orbi connection.

If you have FiOS, Orbi is an excellent choice.

Message 6 of 11
st_shaw
Master

@whsbuss-1 makes a good point.

As I said above, you CAN, run the FiOS router in bridged mode.  However, I would recommend leaving the FiOS router in place, turning off it's WiFi radio, and using Orbi in AP mode.

Message 7 of 11
QL
Tutor
Tutor

thanks a lot both!

Message 8 of 11
Tonchy
Aspirant

Message 9 of 11
mindhed1
Tutor

I have my FIOS router in bridge mode and don't have TV service. My house is 4000 square feet and have Orbi's place about 40 feet from one another onthe central floor of my house. Strong wifi signal and great performance throughout the house. For me it's an optimal setup, but each house is different. YMMV.

Message 10 of 11
OrbiMan
Luminary

I have Orbi and Verizon FIOS in Bridge mode.  Orbi act as a router it is wonderful. (I also love that Verizon can't screw with my router, online they don't know my wifi password or anything about my router) I am sure they have other info about me, but it is a start.  We just need Orbi to support VPN Client Mode, so I can VPN my entire network if I so choose.

I follow this guide here (however didn't have to change MAC address at all)  https://medium.com/particle-bits/setting-up-the-actiontec-mi424wr-rev-i-as-a-passive-bridge-5bf23dcf...

This is the link to my recent post with my speed test of Orbi https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Lan-speed/td-p/1254657

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7