Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Performance spikes

cwkal
Aspirant

Performance spikes

Hi. Just set up my orbi mesh network. I am not getting great performance across the satellites-- performance drops off quickly with even a short distance. I am in a city with a lot of interference. One thing I am seeing is a lot of spikiness in performance. My wifi speed looks like an ekg.  I don't see the same spikiness in the noise on the network (I am using Mac's wirelss performance scanning). It's just the rate that is jumping around.

Any thoughts about what might be causing the up and down network speed?

Thanks.

-Chuck

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Performance spikes

What does the Orbi speed test show in the browser GUI? Have you configured anything in the GUI yet?

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@cwkal wrote:

Hi. Just set up my orbi mesh network. I am not getting great performance across the satellites-- performance drops off quickly with even a short distance. I am in a city with a lot of interference. One thing I am seeing is a lot of spikiness in performance. My wifi speed looks like an ekg.  I don't see the same spikiness in the noise on the network (I am using Mac's wirelss performance scanning). It's just the rate that is jumping around.

Any thoughts about what might be causing the up and down network speed?

Thanks.

-Chuck

Message 3 of 8
cwkal
Aspirant

Do you mean at routerlogin.net? I don't see any wif speed information there. The setup app shows 900 Mbs- which is the speed at the router as I understand.

Message 4 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@cwkal wrote:

Do you mean at routerlogin.net? I don't see any wif speed information there. The setup app shows 900 Mbs- which is the speed at the router as I understand.

yes or orbilogin.com - Advance - Setup - Speed test

Message 5 of 8
cwkal
Aspirant

V2.5.1.16

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? I have a Nighthawk 32 cable motem attached.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? About 1500 sq ft and less than 30 ft between devices. Through some walls though.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

channel 48, but it looks like I only have choices of a few. My performance scan suggests others.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Yes, lots

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced. Thanks I'll try this. Seems paradoxical to turn the power down, but let's see what happens..

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a different model # for the modem? Like C#### or CM#### or D#### or DM####? 

Having lots of nieghbors near by can cause problems. This is call wifi congestion. So in some cases reducing the power output of your system to reduce the wifi foot print and help reduce external wifi interferences helps in some cases. You don't always have to broadcast full power. 

@cwkal wrote:

V2.5.1.16

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? I have a Nighthawk 32 cable motem attached.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? About 1500 sq ft and less than 30 ft between devices. Through some walls though.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

channel 48, but it looks like I only have choices of a few. My performance scan suggests others.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Yes, lots

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced. Thanks I'll try this. Seems paradoxical to turn the power down, but let's see what happens..

Message 7 of 8
cwkal
Aspirant

yes or orbilogin.com - Advance - Setup - Speed test

Thanks. That also seems to be the speed at the router: 900 Mbs

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation