Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Petition to disable auto-updates

Heliix
Guide

Petition to disable auto-updates

Petition to have the ability to disable auto-updates on our own ORBI system 

Tired of having bad updates brick your system?

Your home automatin and security system is offline?

Family cant work from home while your traveling for work (because tech support cant do anything about the updates)

Sign by replying to this message

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 14
Heliix
Guide

I'll start

I want the abiltity to disable auto-updates

Message 2 of 14
tagteam
Virtuoso

Message 3 of 14

Beyond the significant and ongoing issues Netgear keeps having with stability, there are times I just can't have my network dumping its clients while it swaps firmware. The week I'm out of town is not the week I'm willing to deal with the uncertainty of a new release.

Given all the other minutia in Advanced Settings, it seems like a no-brainer. I can specify the CTS/RTS Threshold in .04% increments, but I can't prevent my Orbi's from potentially throwing my world into chaos? Doesn't make sense. 

Message 4 of 14
cheeky
Tutor

The inability to control the firmware update process is asinine. You've caused me to waste entirely too many hours trying to troubleshoot, only to find it was a bad update you had to PULL, then you issue a new one that causes the same damned problems and now I have no recourse but to wait for you to get your act together or just dump this Netgear system all together.

Fix this. NOW.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 5 of 14
TwistedK
Tutor

Not only should we have to option to update when we want; We also need proper working firmware.

Message 6 of 14
TwistedK
Tutor

Not only should we have to option to update when we want; We also need proper working firmware.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 14

Please let us turn off auto updates because netgear does not test enough the new firmware lots of people have the issue with this breaking things like homekit
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 8 of 14
e1superman
Apprentice

Yes please disable auto update!!  It is a royl pain when y security system goes offline at random times, for me to fix when I'm home (30mins or so) and also when I'm on travel and my gf has no way to fix the internet for days!  I use ethernet backhaul with 2 units which is not compatible with the new FW.... so the auto update bricks my entire internet.

Message 9 of 14
jordi_c
Initiate

Message 10 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

disabling auto-updates is NOT the answer.  You'd be better off with a dial up service with 9600 baud modem.

If you don't like what NG is doing with the Orbi, move along and buy something else.

Message 11 of 14
e1superman
Apprentice

That doesn't make any sense. Why the comment on speed rating?

My push back is as follows:

- I'm using the Orbit, as designed, in a config that they support (2 satellites on ehternet backhaul)
- the new orbi FW was released with a known issue that breaks the orbi when in this config
- Auto update causes my entire orbi system to go offline when they push an update
- I have no way to stop this from happened every few days

So what mind you are my options? I see historically updates have tanked other people too on other features.

How do we fix this going forward? Disabling auto update seems reasonable. Every other router on the planet upgrades manually for reasons just like this.

Message 12 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@e1superman wrote:
That doesn't make any sense. Why the comment on speed rating?

It's a reference back to say Win 3.0 when everything was done manually.  I suspect the reason NG doesn't offer a switch to turn off auto-update is likely related/tied to to their 90 day support service.  As long as auto-update is engaged they are 'servicing' the customer. But my whole point is, let them turn it off, and then you decide when to upgrade, and then you do and then your network explodes.  But wait, then you have no one to blame but yourself....get it?

Message 13 of 14
e1superman
Apprentice

Yes when I update I take responsibility that I don't do something dumb. They take responsibility under the warranty that the firmware works.

The issue is with auto update no one takes responsibility (their sfvise is to roll back the firmware manually... Just to have it auto update again days later and take my system offline).
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7