Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Philips Hue issue

Iketurner10
Tutor

Philips Hue issue

Hi All,

Can somebody shed some light on why I can’t get Philips Hue to find a new device (light) please.

My setup is as follows:

1 x TalkTalk router 

1 x RBR50 router and satellite 

1 x Philips Hue bridge

1 x Zigbee 12v driver (device) connected to LED strip lighting 

4 x Echo Dots

I have Orbi in AP mode and I’ve disabled WiFi on my TalkTalk router. The Hue bridge is hard wired to my Orbi router. I have also tried this in the default router mode.

When I search for a new light it doesn’t find the Zigbee driver (device). I can find it through the Alexa app (comes up as All Hue lighting) but once I add it it says the device is unresponsive and can’t control it.

I understand the Zigbee device works fine with an Echo Plus as this model has the Zigbee gateway in it. The Hue bridge is acting as the gateway in my setup but it’s really frustrating that I can’t get it to work properly.

Please help! Many thanks guys.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
eljarviso
Luminary

Re: Philips Hue issue

Zigbee runs over 2.4Ghz. Zigbee and Wi-Fi are not supposed to interfere with each other but in my experience I have seen it happen. Move your bridge away from your router and make sure your lights aren’t near any other wifi or Bluetooth devices.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

The communication between the Philips Hue and the light does not go through wifi or via Orbi.

I think that your question should be in another forum.

Message 2 of 8
Iketurner10
Tutor

Thanks for your reply. Which forum do you suggest?

Message 3 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@Iketurner10 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Which forum do you suggest?

I suggest Philips Hue community like this one: https://philipshue.com/thread/philips-hue-bridge-cant-find-philips-hue-bulbs/

Good luck.

Message 4 of 8
st_shaw
Master

It's not clear to me exactly what you're doing, but I find it common for my Hue sytems to be unable to find lights.  That's also the case without Orbi.  What helps is to enter the light's serial number on the search screen before searching for the new light.

Message 5 of 8
eljarviso
Luminary

Zigbee runs over 2.4Ghz. Zigbee and Wi-Fi are not supposed to interfere with each other but in my experience I have seen it happen. Move your bridge away from your router and make sure your lights aren’t near any other wifi or Bluetooth devices.
Message 6 of 8
Iketurner10
Tutor

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help on the matter it seems the Hue bridge was too far away from the device. Moved it closer and voila - all works well.

Cheers

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Mark your thread resolved so others will now.

@Iketurner10 wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help on the matter it seems the Hue bridge was too far away from the device. Moved it closer and voila - all works well.

Cheers

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7