Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ping Spikes over WiFi

SyrupSplashin
Aspirant

Ping Spikes over WiFi

First off,  the model I have is actually the RBR20 (Wasn't an option so I chose the other tri-band that was available)

Anyways, I'm having some occasional ping spikes over WiFi . In a sample size of about 100, I'll get 2000-3000ms 2-3% of the time. I've roamed these forums for hours trying everything suggested elsewhere on the issue and have not seen any improvement. The Orbi is a recent addition and I didn't have these issues beforehand so I'm going to guess it's an Orbi problem (Wifi adapter is the Netgear A7000). Thus far I've tried enabling and disabling every combination of settings there is, restarts, locking down my adapter to only the 2.4GHz to see if the issue persisted there (It did, minus 500-1000ms).  Firmware is on the latest version, and I am connected directly to the router. 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Ping Spikes over WiFi

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Are you pinging the Orbi router or a external site? 

Does this happens with a different wireless device and or a different adapter? 

Ensure the adapters wifi drivers are up to date.

Is the adapter connected to a USB 3.0 port? 

Are pings on a wired LAN cable the same? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

How close to the Orbi router are you with this adapter? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2 and AES?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO and WMM.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

Message 2 of 4
SyrupSplashin
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?  : Cant check right now, but previous router didn't have issue so unless it's a specific communication issue between the modem and router I can't imagine that'd matter much.

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? : Router mode

Are you pinging the Orbi router or a external site? : Both, spikes occur regardless of the destination

Does this happens with a different wireless device and or a different adapter? : This is actually a new development, I used a raspberry pi as a makeshift WiFi adapter and didn't have any spikes above 100ms. I've since ordered a new WiFi adapter hoping it solves the issue. Also yes, all the drivers are up to date.

Is the adapter connected to a USB 3.0 port? : Have experienced the issue while connected to USB 3.1, 3.0, and 2.0

Are pings on a wired LAN cable the same?  : When wired I don't see the spikes, even pinging on other devices I do not see ping spikes. Seems like the issue is with my machine only, or rather with the new tests I've done, the issue is with this specific adapter only. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? : 2000+, Am right above the router though. Probably 25ft between me and the router with a floor in between. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. : Issue pertains to the router itself (is what I'm closest and connected to), the spacing is 30 feet give or take though. 

How close to the Orbi router are you with this adapter? : 25 feet if I had to estimate

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. : Manual channels, can't tell you of the top of my head but I know my network is the only one on them, no interference from other networks around me 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? : 7, all on different channels 

What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2 and AES? : WPA2-PSK [AES]

Have already tried everything you've recommended, have run into you making the same suggestions on other threads 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Just checking to see if there is a wifi router built in to the ISP modem. If not, then your ok here. This can make a difference if a router is built in. 

Since you confirmed not having a problem with a different adapter, lets presume that your problem adapter is the issue and see if the replacement fixes this. 

Let us know how it turns out. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7