Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ping

fennypennyy
Aspirant

Ping

Hello I recently bought the orbi router since my ping has been skyrocketing in some games. Normally it stays below 30 but then goes up to 250 for about 20 minutes and then comes down. Please help with this issue it has been occuring for a few months now with no hope.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Ping

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What gaming devices do you use? 

Gaming devices wired or wireless connected? 

What other devices do you have connected to the orbi? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling WMM, Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s)

Message 2 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@fennypennyy wrote:

Hello I recently bought the orbi router since my ping has been skyrocketing in some games. Normally it stays below 30 but then goes up to 250 for about 20 minutes and then comes down. Please help with this issue it has been occuring for a few months now with no hope.

The ping was high for months before installing the Orbi, and shows the same behavior after installing the Orbi?

Message 3 of 19
plemans
Guru

what modem are you using? Firmware on it?

Signal/configuration page for your modem showing connections and logs?

Message 4 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@fennypennyy wrote:

Message 5 of 19
fennypennyy
Aspirant

The router was high ever since I started to try home wifi routers but before that I had a nighthawk which had no issues the only reason I bought this new one was because of the range it covered

Message 6 of 19
fennypennyy
Aspirant

What FW is currently loaded? V2.3.1.58
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Arris and TM822A
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Router

What gaming devices do you use? Nintendo switch and PC

Gaming devices wired or wireless connected? Pc is wired and the Switch is wireless 

What other devices do you have connected to the orbi? Phone's, printer's, tv's, and directv
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 1400 sq ft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. I think around 50 feet or so 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 14
What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK[AES]

Try enabling WMM, Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s)

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I would also try turning off all devices accept for the one PC or switch while gaming to see if pings are still high...Are there any other devices using the internet while gaming or just you gaming alone? 

Message 8 of 19
fennypennyy
Aspirant

Yes 2 phones are connected during when I play my games I will try to disconnect the devices to see which one is the problem.

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What was the model of the other Netgear router? 

Message 10 of 19
fennypennyy
Aspirant

The modem?

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What was the model of the other Netgear router? 

Message 12 of 19
fennypennyy
Aspirant

I have figured out the problem but I’m in a little bit of a pickle but let me explain. My parents phones are on the WiFi and they usually play games on them. I found out if I turn there phones it causes my lag to go away. Yet if I turn them both on my ping shoots up to 250 I have no idea what to do at this point. The two phones are both galaxy s9+
Message 13 of 19
plemans
Guru

I've heard of apps on phones causing increased ping times. Is it just one phone or do both have to be connected to increase the ping time? 

Message 14 of 19
fennypennyy
Aspirant

They both have connection issues to them it might be one of the apps but I don’t know which one might be causing it
Message 15 of 19
fennypennyy
Aspirant

Actually I think it’s only 1 let me check
Message 16 of 19
fennypennyy
Aspirant

It’s only 1
Message 17 of 19
plemans
Guru

@fennypennyy wrote:
It’s only 1

My bet would be an app causing the issue if its one phone causing the problems. Not sure the best way to troubleshoot this other than uninstall individual apps, test, and reinstall if it doesn't fix the issue. The really hard part with that would be if it was more than a single app causing the problem. If there was 2 of the same phones, you could at least compare apps and that'd narrow it down to (hopefully) the apps that only the offending phone has by itself.

Message 18 of 19
fennypennyy
Aspirant

arlight I will try this

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements