Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pink ring that never goes away

tlat
Aspirant

Pink ring that never goes away

I have restarted, rebooted and re-everything I can and still cannot get rid of the pink ring. When I try to do a firmware update, it says that it cannot.  It won't connect to the internet and I have tried a different ethernet cable to see if that was it.  

I tried to call customer support but due to the virus, there isn't anyone answering. If anyone can help I would truly appreciate it.  With 5 people social distancing at home doing work, school and gaming, we need the orbi.

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Pink ring that never goes away

If your ISP modem already has a built in router, it should be bridged if possible. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@tlat wrote:

Thank you all for the help!  I tried the suggestions and still the ring. I cannot get to my admin login on page to even try some of the manual's suggetions.  The password I created at the beginning isn't working and it won't let me enter "password" for the start up.  does anyone know how to basically treat this Orbi like it's brand new and reset everything?  When I look up why the ring is happening, it says that it's not recognizing my xfinity router, but we have wifi (not through the orbi) so I know it's working.  I tried a different ethernet cable thinking that might be the issue and i'm not sure how to tell what firmware is on the orbi or how to even update it since I cannot access the admin area.  I'm not really tech savy, but aside from my teenagers, I'm the only one in the house capable of trying to fix the issue.  thanks again!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Time to have the neighbors "Unsecure" their WiFi. Or.....

Generally, when something breaks suddenly, there is no need to update firmware.  It often helps to isolate the problem:

• Power off the Orbi and the modem it is connected to.
    Power on the modem and let it go through the startup cycle.
    (Do the correct lights display at the end?}
    Then, power on the Orbi router.
    Did this solve the problem?
    If not...
  • Is there a computer in the house that can be connected directly to the modem?
    If so, power off again, connect the computer, restart the modem, wait...
    Then, power up the computer.
    Does the computer connect to the modem and reach the Internet?
    If not, the issue is the modem.  Time to call the ISP
    If the computer DID work, then it may be time to "reset" the Orbi.
Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@tlat wrote:

I have restarted, rebooted and re-everything I can and still cannot get rid of the pink ring. When I try to do a firmware update, it says that it cannot.  It won't connect to the internet and I have tried a different ethernet cable to see if that was it.  

I tried to call customer support but due to the virus, there isn't anyone answering. If anyone can help I would truly appreciate it.  With 5 people social distancing at home doing work, school and gaming, we need the orbi.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What ask about the firmware when you never address the problems with some releases?

Message 4 of 11
tlat
Aspirant

Thank you all for the help!  I tried the suggestions and still the ring. I cannot get to my admin login on page to even try some of the manual's suggetions.  The password I created at the beginning isn't working and it won't let me enter "password" for the start up.  does anyone know how to basically treat this Orbi like it's brand new and reset everything?  When I look up why the ring is happening, it says that it's not recognizing my xfinity router, but we have wifi (not through the orbi) so I know it's working.  I tried a different ethernet cable thinking that might be the issue and i'm not sure how to tell what firmware is on the orbi or how to even update it since I cannot access the admin area.  I'm not really tech savy, but aside from my teenagers, I'm the only one in the house capable of trying to fix the issue.  thanks again!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If your ISP modem already has a built in router, it should be bridged if possible. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@tlat wrote:

Message 7 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 8 of 11
tlat
Aspirant

Re: Pink ring that never goes away - fixed by factory reset

Thanks all!  The factory reset did it's job.  

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@tlat wrote:

Message 10 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tlat wrote:

You're welcome...glad to help....Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7