Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Placement

Mkstretch
Aspirant

Placement

I have a 4000 square foot house I currently have my orbi router in AP mode on my first floor plugged into a MoCA adapter. My main internet provider router/modem is in my basement. Would it be better for me to relocate my orbi router to the basement and directly plug it into my provider router? I have gigabit internet speeds but with a MoCA adapter I am limited to 400mbps down and up. Also my house has a basement , 1st floor , and 2nd floor. Thanks
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Placement

What kind of modem?  Finished or unfinished basement?  If it is coax, I would rather move the modem to the 1st floor.  (Unless you have a LOT of devices in the basement that need internet.)

Message 2 of 13
Mkstretch
Aspirant

It’s a Verizon Fios gigabit gateway router modem. I have a finished basement
Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, shucks.  if it was coax and basement unfinished, it is almost trivial to extend the coax up to a location on the first floor.

MoCA 2.5 and 3.0 seem to support higher bandwidth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance#MoCA_performance_profiles 

Might be not too expensive to give higher speed MoCA a shot.

And.... it should not be very difficult to temporarily move the router to the basement.  Unplug from MoCA.  Move to basement.  Plug into modem in place of MoCA adapter.  Does first floor performance or second floor connection fall off?

Message 4 of 13
Mkstretch
Aspirant

Yeah Fios routers have Moca built in. Moca adapter 2.5, and 3.0 you cannot get anywhere. Also from what I read a Moca adapter on Verizon Fios will only get half of the 1 gigabit. This is why I was wondering if I should plug orbi router directly into my Fios router. Maybe my orbi WiFi speed would increase. But I’m not sure. So far I haven’t seen my performance drop off on either floor
Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

So, you have already moved the Orbi router to the basement with no ill effect.  Great.

Amazon has MoCA 2.0 adapters which claim gigabit transmission.

Ironically, the only MoCA 2.5 device which appears to be (maybe) shipping is a FIOS WiFi router.  How strange!

Message 6 of 13
Mkstretch
Aspirant

Yeah seems ok. Yeah I have the Motorola 2.0 MoCA. I have the orbi router in the basement, 1 satelite on 1st floor, and 1 on 2nd floor. Oh Fios has a 2.5 huh
Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Basements are not great places for WiFi routers. The concrete and metal rods can inhibit good wifi propagation and coverage. It's recommended to place any wifi router on the main floor or above. Placing satellites opposite from the RBR. RBS can be placed in basemens from the RBR. I have 1 RBS in my basement though it's wire connected to the RBR on the 2nd floor up. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@Mkstretch wrote:
Yeah seems ok. Yeah I have the Motorola 2.0 MoCA. I have the orbi router in the basement, 1 satelite on 1st floor, and 1 on 2nd floor. Oh Fios has a 2.5 huh

Message 8 of 13
Mkstretch
Aspirant

Ok so I guess having my orbi router on my first floor and a satellite on my 2nd floor and 1 in the basement is what I’ll try.
Message 9 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

You may be reaching a point of "diminishing returns" in regard to time invested in this issue.  If both satellites report "Good" links to the router, and service meets your expectations all over the house, there is little to be gained from moviing things around.

Router in basement = Gig connection direct to FIOS (Yeah!), but potentially lower backhaul bandwidth to the 2nd floor satellite (Boo).

Router on 1st floor over MoCA = 400mb connection to FIOS (Boo), but potentially better backhaul bandwidth to both satellites (Yeah).

If you are enjoying the exploration, by all means keep at it.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be good for this configuration. 

@Mkstretch wrote:
Ok so I guess having my orbi router on my first floor and a satellite on my 2nd floor and 1 in the basement is what I’ll try.

Message 11 of 13
Mkstretch
Aspirant

I am enjoying my exploration. Thank you.
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

And how is your progress going on this? 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements