Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Planned purchase of RBK50 or RBK23....couple of questions

slippery
Aspirant

Planned purchase of RBK50 or RBK23....couple of questions

We have a large house 3,000, primarily one story but a small two-story add on (included in square footage.)

We are going to Cable Internet and plan to stream Hulu Live on two tv's.  There will be other devices being operated, mainly two phones and a laptop.  (No plans for smart anythings besides tv's.  No lights, doors, ovens, etc.)

The internet speed we will be buying is 175 mbps..

I'm thinking of getting the RBK53 and then, if we need to, we can always add another satellite to get to the upstairs room.  (My other thought is to get the AC2200 and get the router with two satellites.  Suggestions there?)

1.  Can we add any Orbi satellite including a voice one or does the main unit have to be a voice base?  (If that makes sense.)  Can it be any other satellite (Orbi) that doesn't include voice?  For instance can an AC2200 be the second satellite?

2.  What do I need for a modem?  What would be the proper specs to search for in relation to what I've said about purchasing this equipment?

I've been studying this for days and am just exhausted and need to get on with the purchase!

Thanks!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

The USB port on v1 was for printers I believe. Users also wanted READY Share support so they could connect a external USB drive to the back of the RBR and use it like a storage holder for movies or music and such. NG hasn't supported this feature at the requests of many users and with V2 and follow on Orbi systems. Looks like NG isn't gonig to support any form of ReadyShare on Orbi at all. Its not a great importance to some, others may more so, however there are alternative and better solutions for media storage when it's needed. Like NAS which IMO is the best solution for configurations like this, more stable, LAN carries the best wired performance over USB. I have two NAS boxes and haven't looked back since. USB 3.0 is starting to come to the table in performances, however doesn't matter since Orbi isn't supporting media USB support. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 16

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Cable internet requires a modem.  Check the cable company web site to see which DOCSIS 3.1 modems they prefer.  It should be "only a modem", i.e. no router, no WiFi.  Generally, people have to choose (a) to rent the modem from the cable company for a monthly fee and the cable company is totally responsible should the modem malfunction, or (b) purchase their own modem and not pay the monthly fee, but also be responsible if the modem fails.  In general, modems are highly reliable and a lot of customers decide to purchase their own.

How many WiFi devices are required depends on the physical layout.  An RBK53, with one WiFi router and two WiFi satellites will cover a lot of area.  If the internet connection is one corner of the house and the two-story outbuilding is on the opposite side, however, there could be problems.  Perhaps you could make a simple diagram of the building and attach it? (showing where the internet connection point will be and where those TV's will be)

This is an awkward time to be purchasing WiFi systems.  WiFi 6 was just standardized in September. All of the major manufacturers are releasing new products which support WiFi 6, and products that include WiFi 6 are just now coming out (smartphones, laptops, etc.)   The new products are "unproven" and expensive.  The existing products are "known", less expensive, and soon to be "not the latest and greatest."  For myself, I would invest in current products understanding that in 3-4 years it will be time to replace with new WiFi.

If you can provide some more information, there are some really smart people who follow this forum and can give good advice.

Message 2 of 16
slippery
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

Attached is a rough plan of the layout.  I marked the TV spots in red ovals  (I didn't realize we have 4 of them!) and the cable internet modem spot with a triangle in green as well as the proposed Satellite 1 location.  I drew lines in blue where the wifi would have to go through and the approximate number of feet.  There are a couple of pink "wifi's" where we usually sit on computers or phones.

From Modem-TV 1 to TV #4 (I realize I should have numbered them differently!) is about 20 feet through two plaster walls.

From Modem to Satellite 1 is about 30 feet down a long narrow hallway.  I'm hoping that Satellite 1 will be enough to "power" the office which contains TV #2 and a computer which rarely are used as well as Smart TV #3 in Family Room which gets a fair amount of usage.  It would also be "powering" BR2  which would have my daughter on her wifi (I erroneously left that off of the drawing.)

What gets the most use is TV #1 where the hardwire would be, TV #4, + some iPhones in the BR1, LR and BR2.

I'm thinking/hoping that MAYBE the Satellite would be enough to power through the ceiling and into the Upstairs room above the garage for a wifi computer on occasion.

If there's not enough "power" (I don't know the proper words!) then I'm guessing I could add another Satellite.  The entire house is about 3,000 square feet.

I might add I don't plan on updating my TV's any time soon.  We have one smart tv and the others will be using a Firestick and Rokus to stream.  we will probably use two TV's simultaneously at times as well as an iphone.  Other times it will be a combination of all iphones and computer and tv's, one at a time for each of the three of us who occupy the house!

We do not upgrade to the latest and greatest and do not plan to add a bunch of home control devices to our wifi.

Any suggestions would be great.  Am I on the right track with beginning with the RBK50 with one satellite, adding another if necessary?  Or would I be better off with RBK23 and 2 satellites?  Our internet will be cable at 175 mbps.

Also, what should I look for in a modem?

Thanks again.  Sorry this is so long!

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Stand alone modems are recommended for use with Orbi systems. Modem with out a built in router. If your ISP can't provide or support a modem with out a built in router, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@slippery wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Attached is a rough plan of the layout.  I marked the TV spots in red ovals  (I didn't realize we have 4 of them!) and the cable internet modem spot with a triangle in green as well as the proposed Satellite 1 location.  I drew lines in blue where the wifi would have to go through and the approximate number of feet.  There are a couple of pink "wifi's" where we usually sit on computers or phones.

From Modem-TV 1 to TV #4 (I realize I should have numbered them differently!) is about 20 feet through two plaster walls.

From Modem to Satellite 1 is about 30 feet down a long narrow hallway.  I'm hoping that Satellite 1 will be enough to "power" the office which contains TV #2 and a computer which rarely are used as well as Smart TV #3 in Family Room which gets a fair amount of usage.  It would also be "powering" BR2  which would have my daughter on her wifi (I erroneously left that off of the drawing.)

What gets the most use is TV #1 where the hardwire would be, TV #4, + some iPhones in the BR1, LR and BR2.

I'm thinking/hoping that MAYBE the Satellite would be enough to power through the ceiling and into the Upstairs room above the garage for a wifi computer on occasion.

If there's not enough "power" (I don't know the proper words!) then I'm guessing I could add another Satellite.  The entire house is about 3,000 square feet.

I might add I don't plan on updating my TV's any time soon.  We have one smart tv and the others will be using a Firestick and Rokus to stream.  we will probably use two TV's simultaneously at times as well as an iphone.  Other times it will be a combination of all iphones and computer and tv's, one at a time for each of the three of us who occupy the house!

We do not upgrade to the latest and greatest and do not plan to add a bunch of home control devices to our wifi.

Any suggestions would be great.  Am I on the right track with beginning with the RBK50 with one satellite, adding another if necessary?  Or would I be better off with RBK23 and 2 satellites?  Our internet will be cable at 175 mbps.

Also, what should I look for in a modem?

Thanks again.  Sorry this is so long!

Message 4 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the drawing.  Yes, the router goes with the modem. (That TV perhaps could be connected with an ethernet cable?)

I would definitely start with the RBK53 package rather than attempt to add another satellite later.  The package "deal" is so much more attractive than buying an individual satellite.

If you specify the cable system, we can help you look on their web site to see which cable modems they support.

Message 5 of 16
slippery
Aspirant

I would use ethernet cable from modem to TV#1, then wifi to TV#4 through 2 walls 20-25 feet away from modem & router.

Then put the satellite router another 30 feet in the opposite direction from the router.

I'm just wondering if that would be enough--the router and then the one satellite?  Or do I need the router unit plus two satellites?

I guess the RBK50 is the router + 1 satellite and the RBK53 is the router + 2 satellites?

I will be subscribing to Xfinity internet.

Thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes RBK50 comes with 1 satellite and the RBK53 comes with 2 satellites. 

My RBK50 is enough to cover a 5000 sq ft home. RBS in the basement while RBR is on second story. 

Message 7 of 16
slippery
Aspirant

Also, my house is about 3,000 sq BUT it is LOOOOONNNGGG as there was an add-on over the garage and west of the garage.  That western portion is now the family room and it would need to get wireless signal there for TV.  the Satellite would be about 20 feet from that TV, through a couple of walls.

I guess I'm trying to keep under $300 so HOPING that the RBK50 would be enough.  It's either take a chance and spend the extra $100 and perhaps NOT need it or not buy it perhaps have to buy another satellite on it's own later which would probably be $200.

If the house were just two normal floors, I would not hesitate to get the 50 but because it's a weird added on section, I question it's ability to reach that far.  It does state UP TO 5,000 sq feet and I have 3,000.

(I was also thinking I could just down grade from the 50 and get RBK23? units for about the same price as the RBK50 but get 3 units)

Thanks everyone.  I'm thinking maybe put out the extra $100 and get the 53--I can always sell it off if I don't need it.  Or place it out further and maybe get some coverage outside if I want it.

Can you tell I'm a horrible decision maker?

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Placement and distance between the RBR and RBS is key. I think you'll be ok with the RBK50 for the size of your home. With mine, I have at the eastern end on 2nd story the isp modem and RBR. At the other western end of my house is the RBS down in the basement. I can do both wireless and ethernet connected RBS here. Currently is wired. Wireless works fine here however status reports poor, however poor doesn't seem to be bothering anyone at this side of the house as I've not hear complains and speeds are good and nothing that causes alarms for this configuration. After all the signal traverses two floors and two walls. Not bad for the 50 series system with 1 RBS. 

Message 9 of 16
slippery
Aspirant

Thanks.  I think I'll try it.

But I just noticed Costco has the RBK53S for $299!  It seems that the difference is there is no USB port on the S models.  What would you use the USB port for?  Is it important?

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

The USB port on v1 was for printers I believe. Users also wanted READY Share support so they could connect a external USB drive to the back of the RBR and use it like a storage holder for movies or music and such. NG hasn't supported this feature at the requests of many users and with V2 and follow on Orbi systems. Looks like NG isn't gonig to support any form of ReadyShare on Orbi at all. Its not a great importance to some, others may more so, however there are alternative and better solutions for media storage when it's needed. Like NAS which IMO is the best solution for configurations like this, more stable, LAN carries the best wired performance over USB. I have two NAS boxes and haven't looked back since. USB 3.0 is starting to come to the table in performances, however doesn't matter since Orbi isn't supporting media USB support. 

Message 11 of 16
slippery
Aspirant

Gosh there are lots of unhappy reviewers on the Costco site.  Sigh.

Message 12 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@slippery wrote:

My experience is that people who purchase something and are happy with it seldom take the time to post a review.  For example, I purchased Orbi two times from Amazon (RBK50 and RBK53) and did not leave a review either time.  If 90% of the Orbi's were being returned to Costco, the product would no longer be for sale.

I do not mean to be an advocate for Netgear.  I have looked at some of the other WiFi mesh user forums, and there are plenty of complaints on all of them.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Also be take some of the reviews with a grain of salt. Depending upon the review and the experiences by the reviewers, what was the real problem and was any troubleshooting performed or was NG contact to see if the problem could be resolve? There maybe false reviews as well or reviews based on bad experiences which the problem was never really identifed or could have been resolved with some help. 

This is my friends RBK53 system, bought at Costco, I helped him set up. It's still up and running to this day:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@slippery wrote:

Message 14 of 16
slippery
Aspirant

JUST AN UPDATE:

So I went ahead and purchased the Orbi system.  I have plenty of power from the RBK50!  I bought the Netgear router and the Orbi system and am happy as a clam!  It was easy to set up.  Great speed.  Faster than the Internet speed that we purchased!

Thanks everyone who helped me here.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. 

Enjoy ths system. 

Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies