Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Planning ahead Orbi RBK50

jegreenwood
Aspirant

Planning ahead Orbi RBK50

For when I'm troubleshooting.

Bought it last week, and did something potentially stupid.  I tossed the little plastic wrapper that has the default network/password on it.  That shouldn't be a problem - unless and until I reset to factory defaults,  Not sure what happens then.  Any advice?

Loving my Orbi so far.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@jegreenwood wrote:

Bought it last week, and did something potentially stupid.  I tossed the little plastic wrapper that has the default network/password on it.  That shouldn't be a problem - unless and until I reset to factory defaults,  Not sure what happens then.  Any advice?

The plastic wrapper duplicates the WiFi SSID/password that is printed on the product label (bottom of the unit).  Many users toss the plastic wrapper.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Cheat. All you need to do is hardwire into the device. Then just access the browers gui to see ssid/password. 

this bypasses the need for wireless ssid/password. 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@jegreenwood wrote:

The plastic wrapper duplicates the WiFi SSID/password that is printed on the product label (bottom of the unit).  Many users toss the plastic wrapper.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemans wrote:

Cheat. All you need to do is hardwire into the device. Then just access the browers gui to see ssid/password. 

this bypasses the need for wireless ssid/password. 

I have become aware that more and more WiFi router owners have no computer with an ethernet jack.  Have been looking at new laptops and ALL of the 'new' laptops are WiFi only.  There was a time I would not consider a laptop without a serial port (remember those).

Message 4 of 7
jegreenwood
Aspirant

The one that I bought in December 2018 has no ethernet jack (nor a CD-ROM).

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

They make USB to ethernet adapters for this kind of use. 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

They make USB to ethernet adapters for this kind of use. 

That is absolutely correct.  In addition to connecting to the Orbi web interface, one of the troubleshooting steps often recommended is to connect directly to the ISP modem, which obviously requires an ethernet jack.  As part of "planning ahead", it might be worth investing $15 to have one of these adapters on hand.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7