Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Planning to purchase Orbi. Have few questions

rinku2012
Tutor

Planning to purchase Orbi. Have few questions

Hello,

i am staying in 3 floored townhome. Currently i have Netgear R8500 AC5300 router. I have placed the router in 2nd floor. I am getting good internet speeds with 5ghz connection in my 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor.

Currently i have around 30 plus devices ( ipad , iphones, 2 laptops and few of security cameras) connected to the router. except my laptop and iphone all other devices connect to 2.4 ghz network. I see that sometimes network is getting slow. I wont get good speeds in my garage and few areas on 3rd floor.

I am planning to buy latest orbi ( RBK50 or RBK 53) and connect it to my router.

Will this setup work ?. if so can someone please suggest me on how to setup ( like placing the sattelites) and configure Orbi with my existing router

Please suggest which one to buy ( Either RBK50 or RBK53 or wait for any new device which is going to be released by netgear)

Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
ninegag
Aspirant

I live in a 3000+ sqft four floor house. I got the BRK53 and they work perfect. I also tried other mesh system, none of them could beat orbi.

My setup is not standard however. In stead of put the router at the center, I put it in the living room, close to one end of the house. I put one sattelite the same 2nd floor but the other end of the house. The 2nd sattlelite the center of 3rd floor.

Message 2 of 7
rinku2012
Tutor

are u getting good signal on 1st floor and 4th floor ?

do u have any router setup before orbi ?

Message 3 of 7
ninegag
Aspirant

I got full speed at every corner from 1st floor to 4th floor. It was an amazing experience to see the speed boosted even at those corner where I could hardly get a signal from my old routers.

No, the orbi router is the only one I put after my modem. I think the signal is strong enough for my case with two satellites. 

Btw, my house is wood structure mainly as the others in new england area. Not sure if you are the same.

Message 4 of 7
MickeyKelly
Aspirant

We have a 2000 sq foot single level home with Xfinity 200MBps service. The house is U-shaped with the Xfinity modem in the lower right corner of the U.  With my Asus 68U I was able to achieve 30-50 MBps in the far reaches of the house.

With the RBK50,  I am getting 150-250 MBps at a minimum everywhere and about 850 close to the router or satellite  with AC  Apple devices.

I thought about getting the RBK53 but thought I would try the 50 first to see if it met my needs and would return it for the 53 if it didn't work.  I couldn't be more pleased with the RBK50.

I am using the Asus router as an ethernet attached Access Point to the Orbi router with the radios on the Asus disabled.  I attached my USB hard drive, where I keep my music, to the Asus and it works perfectly with my Sonos system.

Total setup time was about 1 hour.  Great product.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 5 of 7
rinku2012
Tutor

i spent almost ~ $300 for my Netgear R8500 Router. please suggest me how should i use both router and orbi ( after i purchase orbi) effectivly.

Message 6 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You can put the Orbi in ap mode and attach it to your R8500.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7