Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Poor Backha

RobFisher
Aspirant

Poor Backha

I have an Orbi RBR50 system with two satellites. I have an Ethernet cable making the long haul to the Orbi in the TV room. I have a Kodi system which play movies and series from my PC and it worked before I replaced my old ststem with the all new Orbi Mesh system… WiFi works well but playing movies or series on the TV it plays fine for awhile and then hangs… sometimes it buffers which is stupid seeing there is an ethernet cable. Looking on the stats it’s says Backhaul poor?

We had this problem when we first installed and then an update fixed the issue and now it’s back and it’s infuriating!

Rebooting the main router helps for about a minute and it show the backhaul as good and then it goes back to poor!

I am loosing my mind!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Steedvlx600
Luminary

I had the same problem with my concrete-and-steel split level.

The problem was solved for me by turning the 2.4GHz radio strength down to 25%. I was told in the beginning, that Orbi wants to use WiFi backhaul at almost ANY cost.  So, while we are prevented from turning off the 2.4GHz radio, we can weaken it to the point it can't be used efficiently... Forcing the use of 5GHz and Ethernet.
My working concept is: Since it works, I don't care to understand anything more than that.

At least it's a quick and easily-reversible thing to try.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

On the "Attached Devices" page, does it show the satellite as "wired"?

Message 2 of 13
RobFisher
Aspirant

It says 2.4g. After a reboot it shows a GOOD backhaul for a minute or so and then changes to POOR. Not sure why it doesn't show wired?

Message 3 of 13
Steedvlx600
Luminary

I had the same problem with my concrete-and-steel split level.

The problem was solved for me by turning the 2.4GHz radio strength down to 25%. I was told in the beginning, that Orbi wants to use WiFi backhaul at almost ANY cost.  So, while we are prevented from turning off the 2.4GHz radio, we can weaken it to the point it can't be used efficiently... Forcing the use of 5GHz and Ethernet.
My working concept is: Since it works, I don't care to understand anything more than that.

At least it's a quick and easily-reversible thing to try.

Message 4 of 13
RobFisher
Aspirant

Thank you! I will try that... just need to work out how to do that... off to play now!

Message 5 of 13
Steedvlx600
Luminary

It's in advanced settings --> WiFi

Message 6 of 13
RobFisher
Aspirant

Thanks! Found it it! Now to test! Thank you!

Message 7 of 13
RobFisher
Aspirant

OH WOW! Thank you so much! That WORKED! It still shows the backahul as poor but the problem has gone and we can watch without any interupptions! I am very grateful! You gotta love the community! 

Thank you again... you saved my sanity!

Message 8 of 13
Steedvlx600
Luminary

Glad it worked!

The Orbi will figure out the backhaul situation in its own time. Chances are, it will return to 'good' within an hour or two. (It did for me)

Message 9 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@RobFisher wrote:

It says 2.4g. After a reboot it shows a GOOD backhaul for a minute or so and then changes to POOR. Not sure why it doesn't show wired?

A backhaul connection at 2.4G is the "last choice" for Orbi.  1st choice is wired.  2nd choice is 5G.  and Last is 2.4G  The reason the situation has improved is reducing the signal strength on the 2.4G "front haul" radios has made client devices more likely to connect at 5G, and thus reduced the interference on the 2.4G backhaul.

I suspect there is something wrong with the ethernet cable.  This can be verified by temporarily relocating the satellite to the same room as the router.  When it is turned on, it should immediately connect at 5G.  Then, use a short ethernet cable to connect the satellite to the router.  It may take 5 minutes or more, but the satellite should then change to "wired."  This is the expected behavior.

If the satellite is returned to the previous location, connected again to the ethernet cable, and it does not show up as "wired", then there is something wrong with the cable.

Orbi is capable of tremendous bandwidth on the backhaul between satellite and router.  2.4G provides the slowest possible backhaul.  Eventually, this is going to cause some other problem to crop up.

Message 10 of 13
RobFisher
Aspirant

Thank you! I think you may be 100% correct! My techincal man will come visit tomorrow and check the cable!

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

It might be worthwhile to test it with a short ethernet cable first, just to verify that the satellite is able to switch from WiFi backhaul to wired backhaul when it is in the same room as the router.  The sequence should be: (1) no cable, connects at 5G.  (2) plug in the cable and (it takes a bit) it changes to "wired".

Message 12 of 13
RobFisher
Aspirant

It was indeed the cable! All is well in the land now! Thanks again for your help!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7