Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Poor backhaul status after Config Sync

Mjanssen
Guide

Poor backhaul status after Config Sync

Hi,

I'm having difficulties with getting a stable backhaul connection using the RBR40 and 1 RBW30 satelite.

The backhaul status almost all the time shows as "Poor", whatever I try for the location for the satelite (read somewhere that the ideal distance between the router and the satelite is between 12 and 18 m), tried everything from 5m to 20m.

I notice that when I change the 2.4G or 5G channel setting of the wifi, the backhaul status changes to "Good" for a short while. Until the "Config Sync" appears, after which it returns to "Poor". The satelite shows a 5G connection.

Seems to me that after the channel change, the router and the satelite shortly use different channels and after the config sync they use the same. Can it be that the cause interference when using the same channel, which weakens the backhaul connection?

I already disabled 20/40Mhz Coexistence, Daisy-Chain Topology and Fast Roaming and enabled Implicit Beamforming (as suggested in another post in the community), but that doesn't improve anything unfortunately.

Also read that splitting the 2.4G and 5G SSID's can improve the connection, anyone any positive experience with that?

Running firmware V2.3.5.32 on the RBR40 and V2.3.5.6 on the RBW30.

Really looking forward to your ideas and suggestions. I'm convinced that it is a reliable system, but there is something "wrong" somewhere.

With kind regards,

Martijn

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Mjanssen
Guide

Re: Poor backhaul status after Config Sync

Hi,

Seems like changing the pre-amble fixed the issue. The backhaul status is GOOD on 5G and the overal wifi experience is a lot better!

Didn't even try the factory reset yet.

Thanks for the tip!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Mjanssen
Guide

** UPDATE **

Manually updated the firmware to V2.5.1.16 for the RBR40 and V2.5.0.2 for the RBW30.

No change, behaviour is exactly the same Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 3 of 9
Mjanssen
Guide

Hi @FURRYe38,

Thanks for your response. Saw some of your other posts with some of the same suggestions you mention here. Smiley Wink

The house does have walls between the RBR and the RBW, but not much.

We also unplugged the RBW for a while and most devices were able to connect to the RBR, some with less bars and speed, but still connected.

At first used 2.4G channel on auto, tried 1, 6 and 11. No change.

There are some wifi neighbors, not exactly sure how many (not at the location right now Smiley Wink ), but I was able to find a free 2.4G channel before. Also for 5G.

Armor and Circle are disabled?

Can't set the Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only, only disable it completely.

Changed the preamble to short just now, will monitor if any change.

Will do a factory reset when at the location in the near future. Is there a way to save settings? Or is restoring settings not recommended.

Can you explain why the backhaul is good for a short while after any of the wifi settings?

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the RBR and RBW? 

When you uncheck the 20/40Mhz box this sets 40Mhz only. 

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Administration is Backup. You can maybe a back up configuration to file. I would first factory reset the system and setup from scratch and not load any saved config files. Need to first test the system from a clean setup condition first. 

Possible there is a RBW problem. Seen others with this modem RBW have problems. I feel the FW on the RBW needs to be updated by NG to be more in line with v16 which is most correct for the Orbi AC line of systems. 

Message 5 of 9
Mjanssen
Guide

Tried every distance from 5m and 20m between the RBR and the RBW. Left it at each distance for a couple of hours and monitored the backhaul status.

Will try the factory default option somewhere in the next weeks

The devices are not new. Can it still be updated by NG to get a more stable connection?

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support and report your experiences.

@Blanca_O 

Message 7 of 9
Mjanssen
Guide

Hi,

Seems like changing the pre-amble fixed the issue. The backhaul status is GOOD on 5G and the overal wifi experience is a lot better!

Didn't even try the factory reset yet.

Thanks for the tip!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies