Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Poor backhaul to satellite

tjc2005
Aspirant

Poor backhaul to satellite

Hello all,

It seems no matter where I place the router, I get a poor Wi-Fi backhaul signal, it' connected 5g band, the router was around 8 metres away from it, I then moved it closer and more central to the house, it' at around 3 or 4 metres, very close, going from upstairs to downstairs separated by a brick wall in the next room. I can' figure out why it is so poor a singal, I also have a Wi-Fi cctv YI outdoor 1080p camera connected which is about 7 metres from the satellite, which always drops connection.

I am on firmware V2.1.3.4

Also Ethernet backhaul which I wanted to use, does not work. It simply keeps rebooting or resetting, not quite sure what it's doing but no devices can stay connected for long. It's completely erratic behaviour.

Anyone else experiencing this? I am not impressed after spending the money on the top of the range model, supposedly to stop this kind of behaviour. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

was a factory reset performed afte updating to v2.1.3.4? This needs to be done on both router and satellite after installing this version of fw. Set up from scratch.

How big is your home? SQFt?

26 feet is a bit too close between the router and satellite. The router alone can covert this kind of range if placed centrally in the home. You might want to set the satellite farther, 40-60 feet if you can. If you have a small sized home, try the Orbi router alone and see how it does.

Try setting manual channels to 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channels on 5Ghz.

For setting up ethernet back haul, first set up the satellite via wireless, once this is set up, plug in the lan cable between the router and satellite. Give up to 5 minutes for the system to reconfigure the wired back haul before trying to use the network.

Besure LAN cable is of good quality and CAT6 is recommended.

Message 2 of 8
tjc2005
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, I have now factory reset it, and moved the router further apart, briefly it was saying good connection, even before I moved it and in it's new place, now it's back to Poor. And now it's further away it's on the 2.4ghz band for backhaul.

The house is about 1200Sqft on 3 floors. Bear in mind, we have internal brick walls.

I tried the router alone and no go because the wifi camera cannot pick it up.

I haven't tried ethernet backhaul again yet, maybe tonight, but that still won't solve the camera not picking up the signal very well in that location, so there is a switch in that location for ethernet devices instead, I would like to get it running properly on the wifi backhaul right now.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model# of this swtich? If this is a non managed switch, this should work for wired back haul. If this is a Managed switch, this will present a problem as managed switches tend to route traffic that doesn't work well with Orbi systems. 

Where in the house is the router and satellite places? 

Possible if there is brick matierals in volved, could be a problem. You might see about getting wired back haul set up with the satellite. 

Message 4 of 8
tjc2005
Aspirant

Yeah I actually had to install an additional switch in order to move the router and they are unmanaged 1gbps, daisy chained but no loop or anything so all wired devices work fine, I've moved the satellite closer to the camera now it seems to work, still says connection poor but seems to be ok. I' pretty sure it' because of the brick walls.

Thanks again, I'll give Ethernet backhaul another go at some point but it seems to be working now so no need.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model# of this swtich?

@tjc2005 wrote:

Yeah I actually had to install an additional switch in order to move the router and they are unmanaged 1gbps, daisy chained but no loop or anything so all wired devices work fine, I've moved the satellite closer to the camera now it seems to work, still says connection poor but seems to be ok. I' pretty sure it' because of the brick walls.

Thanks again, I'll give Ethernet backhaul another go at some point but it seems to be working now so no need.

Message 6 of 8
Joechang
Apprentice

I got the same problem. when I was on 2.1.2.x, backhaul status was good, after upgraded to 2.1.4.x it turn to bad. Tried check/uncheck MU-MIMO, daisy chain, fast roaming and different combination, but just didnt work.

when I directly open the admin page of the satellite, it shows signal good, and speed test result was also wonderful, so i choose to ignore it anyway, whatever signal poor or good make sure i got full speed and good experience is ok

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the distances between the router and satellite. Usually starting at 30 feet in between to begin with. Nothing closer. I'd say up to 50-60 feet depending on building materials as well. Mines 40 feet and gets GOOD always.

@Joechang wrote:

I got the same problem. when I was on 2.1.2.x, backhaul status was good, after upgraded to 2.1.4.x it turn to bad. Tried check/uncheck MU-MIMO, daisy chain, fast roaming and different combination, but just didnt work.

when I directly open the admin page of the satellite, it shows signal good, and speed test result was also wonderful, so i choose to ignore it anyway, whatever signal poor or good make sure i got full speed and good experience is ok

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7