Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Poor signal on satellite RBR20 on 65m2 apartment

sprf4
Aspirant

Poor signal on satellite RBR20 on 65m2 apartment

Hello. I have just installed a router and a satellite of RBR20 in a 65m2 apartment (builded in 2011).

Both devices are in 2 different rooms, separated 8meters maximum and the satellite’s WiFi signal is very very poor (orange colour-2.4GHz frequency). Orbi router is configured as ACCESS POINT/REPEATER.

In the room where I have installed the satellite I have a Cat.6 ethernet cable connected to ISP router. Can I connect the satellite with ethernet and not WiFi????

I am very unhappy with the results, it is a very little apartment And this devices must works up to 200m2 apartment with different levels 😞

Kind regards,
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
sprf4
Aspirant

Re: Poor signal on satellite RBR20 on 65m2 apartment

Firmware version v2.3.5.26

I have connected the Ethernet cable to ethernet port on Satellite but it continues trying to connect wirelessly. In the topology map in App, the connection between the orbi router and the orbi sat is wirelessly. I follow this KB but it doesn’t work. https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Do I have to configure the backhaul in somewhere??

Kind regards
Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? Besire ALL wifi on the modem is fully disabled.

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the FW update? 

Message 3 of 8
sprf4
Aspirant

ISP router is a mitrastar, Movistar, 600Mbps symetric.

All wifi of this ISP router-modem is disabled, yes.

I have change the channel of the 2.4GHz and in 5GHz too, I have tested it and same results.

My neighborhood has 10-15 wifi network.

I have enabled and disabled exactly the wifi advanced options you mention, same results.

I need to connect it with wire, if wire works, I don’t mind trying to understand why wifi connection between RBR and RBS doesn’t work, really, is a 65m2 apartment!!!

I can’t believe it, trust me

Kind regards
Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@sprf4 wrote:
In the room where I have installed the satellite I have a Cat.6 ethernet cable connected to ISP router. Can I connect the satellite with ethernet and not WiFi????

Just to confirm: the yellow Orbi port is connected to the ISP router, and the remaining ethernet port is connect to the satellite, correct?

i.e. the satellite is not connected directly to the ISP router?

If my math is correct, a 65m2 space probably does not require both a router and a satellite.  If the signal only 8m away is really terrible, there must be something inside the wall that is blocking WiFi.

What people have done in the past is plug in the satellite in the same room as the router and see if it syncs.  If it will not get a "blue light" and sync, then there is a definite problem with the hardware.  After the satellite has synced over WiFi, connect the Orbi and the satellite with an ethernet patch cable.  It may take a few minutes, but the satellite should change from WiFi backhaul to "wired" backhaul.  Once the satellite backhall has been established, then move the satellite to the other room and connect it to the router over the ethernet cable.

Message 5 of 8
sprf4
Aspirant

Yes, yellow Orbi router port is connected to modem-router ISP.

The ethernet port of Orbi Router is connected to a Gigabit Switch, from Netgear. Satellite is not connected to the ISP router.

I have put both, RBR and RBS in the same room, and it takes too much time to syncronize, and finish with purple colour.

Let me attached a map of the installation, and a topology of my network. Now, RBS is installed but in topology map of App it appears disconnected in purple colour.

Maybe the RBS has a hardware problem 😞

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Please turn OFF the RBS and just test wired and wireless speeds with the RBR only. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

If your RBS is connected via ethernet switch, be sure Daisy Chain is disabled on the RBR...

@sprf4 wrote:

Yes, yellow Orbi router port is connected to modem-router ISP.

The ethernet port of Orbi Router is connected to a Gigabit Switch, from Netgear. Satellite is not connected to the ISP router.

I have put both, RBR and RBS in the same room, and it takes too much time to syncronize, and finish with purple colour.

Let me attached a map of the installation, and a topology of my network. Now, RBS is installed but in topology map of App it appears disconnected in purple colour.

Maybe the RBS has a hardware problem 😞

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@sprf4 wrote:

Thanks for the diagrams.  If the satellite will not sync correctly with the router using WiFi when placed in the same room, there is a definite problem.  There is no point in moving on to a wired connection when the satellite will not sync over WiFi.

Can you remove the satellite from the configuration, reset it, and attempt to add it again over WiFi?  Using the web interface, if the satellite is powered off, on the Attached Devices page it will bring up an option to "Delete" it.  Then, use the paperclip to reset the satellite and the sync buttons to link them.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7