Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port forwarding problem RBR50

Kentboyjohn
Aspirant

Port forwarding problem RBR50

Help, I have installed a new Orbi RBK50 with a Dratek Vigor 130 modem. This replaced my BT Hub 6. I have a CCTV DVR with a No-ip DNS which has been working fine on my old BT Hub. I coped the open ports 37777-37778 to the new Orbi but cannot get the Orbi ports to open. Checking them with a port Chechen always comes back with ports closed and time out. 

The Orbi otherwise works really well with a far superior WiFi performance than my old BT Hub. 

Can someone help me as it's driving me mad and without access to my CCTV the Orbi is useless to me. Thanks in advance

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Port forwarding problem RBR50

@Kentboyjohn wrote:

Ok thank you for your help.

Looked up the DNS domain and that IP address shows different to the one I was using and thought the DVR was. I tried using that for port forwarding but when trying to apply it states 'This IP should be in the same subnet as the LAN IP'

Looked up the WAN IP of the Orbi as your advice but cant see anything under the Router status settings as you advise and any IP address I can see there does not match the one found against my DNS look up.

This is sounding promising!

There are two sets of IPs in play here--public WAN addresses and private LAN addresses.

The public WAN IP address of the Orbi router should be shown under the "Internet Satus" display.  See attached screen shot from the user's manual. Your No-IP dynamic DNS must resolve to this WAN IP, or port forwarding will not work. You should also see the same WAN IP if you go to http://www.whatsmyip.org from a device connected to Orbi.

Your DVR will have a private LAN IP when connected to Orbi, something like 192.168.1.25.  When you setup your forwarding rule, you must reference the private LAN IP of the DVR as the Internal IP address in the forwarding GUI.

It would help if you posted your IP addresses and some screen shots of what you are entering. You can replace part of the WAN IP address for provacy, e.g. 71.23.XX.125.

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 10.10.34 AM.png

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

It could be a couple things. If your Dratek is doing any routing, you would need to forward ports on both the Dratek and the Orbi.  Also check to make sure your DNS entry is updated and accurate.

Log into Orbi and look up its WAN address.  If it's not a public IP address, then you have a problem with dual NAT.  If it is a public address, try port scanning using the numerical IP address of Orbi's WAN interface instead of the domain name.

Ping your domain name (from a device outside your LAN) and make sure the DNS entry resolves to the WAN IP of Orbi.

Message 2 of 14
joelinho
Apprentice

I am also having problems with port forwarding. Since replacing my Asus router with the Orbi system I am no longer "connectable" when using bittorrent to download and seed. Never had this problem before with any other router setup, netgear or asus. The Orbi system is one of the worst purchases I have made by far. Besides the port forwading problems it is very unstable with disconnect all the time. Safe to say, I will never buy another Netgear product.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 14
Kentboyjohn
Aspirant

I am sure thats a very good answer but you have lost me as that seems very technical. The Draytek has no port forwarding option and I am told its straight through so will have no effect on the Orbi. If I swap it back to the BT Hub it works fine so why is the Orbi so difficult to set up?have I wasted £300!

Message 4 of 14
st_shaw
Master

@Kentboyjohn wrote:

I am sure thats a very good answer but you have lost me as that seems very technical. The Draytek has no port forwarding option and I am told its straight through so will have no effect on the Orbi. If I swap it back to the BT Hub it works fine so why is the Orbi so difficult to set up?have I wasted £300!

Did someone else setup your CCTV DVR or did you do it yourself?

Your best solution is to leave your BT hub in place and run Orbi in Access Point mode.

Message 5 of 14
Kentboyjohn
Aspirant

I aset the DRV up myself 5 years ago and has worked perfectly since. I dont really want to leave by BT Hub in place as I spent £90 on the Vigor 130. Why would the BT Hub make a difference as I would only be using the Modem part. If I set port forwarding on the Orbi why doesnt those ports show as open. Doesnt seem good to me if it only half works!

Message 6 of 14
st_shaw
Master

@Kentboyjohn wrote:

I aset the DRV up myself 5 years ago and has worked perfectly since. I dont really want to leave by BT Hub in place as I spent £90 on the Vigor 130. Why would the BT Hub make a difference as I would only be using the Modem part. If I set port forwarding on the Orbi why doesnt those ports show as open. Doesnt seem good to me if it only half works!

Assuming you have the Dratek and Orbi configured properly with Orbi in router mode, and assuming everything else is working except for public access of your DVR, there are two possibilities to check:

1) It's possible your Dratek/Orbi combo has pulled a new public IP and your dynamic DNS entry has not updated yet. This would mean public queries are not mapped to the WAN IP of Orbi. It may take several hours for DNS entries to update.

2) Double check to make sure your port forwarding is setup correctly, especially if you copied the rules from your old router. Make sure the forwarding rules reflect the current LAN IP of the DVR when configured with Orbi, and make sure you can access the DVR over the LAN using that LAN IP.  It's likely that your DVR has a different IP address with Orbi than it did when it was behind the BT.  It's also possible the DVR was configured with a manually entered IP, which might not be on the same subnet as Orbi.  Even if the static IP is on the same subnet, it could conflict with a dynamic IP handed out by Orbi to another device.

Etiher of these conditions would cause the online port check to fail.

Message 7 of 14
Kentboyjohn
Aspirant

Thank you for your help.

Firstly I have had the Orbi running now for more than a week so the update issue is probably not the issue. I also can see the CCTV internally on the IP address it was always on so I guess the DVR is still the same IP address as it was. I guess this may be the only possible here 'It's also possible the DVR was configured with a manually entered IP, which might not be on the same subnet as Orbi' 

Message 8 of 14
st_shaw
Master

@Kentboyjohn wrote:

Thank you for your help.

Firstly I have had the Orbi running now for more than a week so the update issue is probably not the issue. I also can see the CCTV internally on the IP address it was always on so I guess the DVR is still the same IP address as it was. I guess this may be the only possible here 'It's also possible the DVR was configured with a manually entered IP, which might not be on the same subnet as Orbi' 

This should be diagnosed systematically, and each assumption should be verified.  I would start with this first step...

1. Use a DNS lookup tool (https://mxtoolbox.com/DNSLookup.aspx), enter your DVR's domain name, and record the IP that's reported by the DNS lookup tool.

2. Log into Orbi's admin GUI and lookup the WAN IP of Orbi. It should be found under Advanced->Administration->Router Status

3. Make sure the IPs from 1 and 2 match.

If they don't match, that's your problem. If they do match, then you know that's not your issue and you can look further.

Message 9 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

Port forwarding works on the Orbi.  I use it as do others.  Problems with port forwarding are usually setup or configuration errors (or Windows firewall, which doesn't apply here).  You must verify the setup, not assume that swapping in one router for another should just work.

Message 10 of 14
Kentboyjohn
Aspirant

Looked up the DNS domain and that IP address shows different to the one I was using and thought the DVR was. I tried using that for port forwarding but when trying to apply it states 'This IP should be in the same subnet as the LAN IP'

Looked up the WAN IP of the Orbi as your advice but cant see anything under the Router status settings as you advise and any IP address I can see there does not match the one found against my DNS look up.

Message 11 of 14
st_shaw
Master

@Kentboyjohn wrote:

There are two sets of IPs in play here--public WAN addresses and private LAN addresses.

The public WAN IP address of the Orbi router should be shown under the "Internet Satus" display.  See attached screen shot from the user's manual. Your No-IP dynamic DNS must resolve to this WAN IP, or port forwarding will not work. You should also see the same WAN IP if you go to http://www.whatsmyip.org from a device connected to Orbi.

Your DVR will have a private LAN IP when connected to Orbi, something like 192.168.1.25.  When you setup your forwarding rule, you must reference the private LAN IP of the DVR as the Internal IP address in the forwarding GUI.

It would help if you posted your IP addresses and some screen shots of what you are entering. You can replace part of the WAN IP address for provacy, e.g. 71.23.XX.125.

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 10.10.34 AM.png

Message 12 of 14
Kentboyjohn
Aspirant

Thak you very much for all your help. It was nothing to do with Orbi but the IP address at No-IP and after following your below instructions it works perfectly. Thank you again.

Message 13 of 14
st_shaw
Master

You are welcome.  I'm glad you got the issue sorted out.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7