Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port forwarding stopped working

DinoLegs
Aspirant

Port forwarding stopped working

Router Firmware Version V2.5.2.4

RBR50

I was running a minecraft server for my friends a few months back, the port was open back then but now when i am trying again it no longer works. I set the port to both TCP and UDP, set internal and external port to 25565, forwarded to a static ip for my server 192.168.1.83, but when i run the server and check if the port is open it says it's closed, and I am unable to connect. The only thing that changed inbetween when the server was running and now is that we changed our modem, but i really don't wan't to buy another one, seeing as we so recently changed to the new one, so if the problem is anything else that I can fix it would be helpfull. For what it's worth I also tried making an online game a while ago with a server and client and was unable to connect outside our local network, at the time I assumed that it was a problem with my code but it could be the same problem. 

help router.PNG

I will provide aditional info if necessary, thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Port forwarding stopped working

You have three choices:

1. Find a way to put the sagemcom into "bridge mode" so that the public IP address is passed through to the Orbi and the sagemcom stops doing any "router functions", like being a DHCP server, providing WiFi, etc.
  2. Put the Orbi into access point (AP) mode and find a way to have the sagemcom forward ports.
  3. Replace the sagemcom with a "plain modem".

#3 requires no intellectual effort on your part, but may cost money.

#2 is 'yucky'. Why learn how to manage another device?  If you can do #2, you can probably do #1.

If #3 is not convenient, then #1 is the top choice.  Maybe a call to the ISP will provide the solution.  i.e. either they put the sagemcom into bridge mode for you, or they tell you how to do it.

Otherwise, it is off to the interent to find a User Manual for the sagemcom and figure out how to put it into bridge mode.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

And the new modem isn't in fact just yet another new router, doing NAT, and your Orbi router does no longer have the public IP address on its Internet/WAN port?

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@DinoLegs wrote:

I will provide aditional info if necessary, thanks in advance.

As @schumaku pointed out, two important clues are:

1. The exact model number of the new modem, and
  2. The IP address assigned to the Orbi WAN interface.  Is it a 'public' or a 'private' IP address.
Message 3 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

If this server is running on a Windows machine, make sure the firewall is not blocking the port.  You need to set your home wireless network as "private" vs. "public" so Windows trusts outside connections.

Here's one set of instructions: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-set-your-networks-location-private-or-public-windows-10/

You can do this by:

1. Right-mouse on the network icon in the lower right task bar, select Open Network & Internet Settings.
  2. The network should show as "Private network".  If it says "Public network" then the firewall will block your port from outside devices, including the Orbi's forwarding.
  3. Press the Properties button.
  4. Change Network Profile to Private.Screenshot 2021-05-03 221619.png

Message 4 of 11
DinoLegs
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:
  1. The exact model number of the new modem, and
  2. The IP address assigned to the Orbi WAN interface.  Is it a 'public' or a 'private' IP address.

my ip address has remained the same on servises like ip chicken and it is a public ip address 

the modem is a "sagemcom 3890"

and it is running on an ubuntu server

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

When I look up the sagemcom 3890, it appears to be a modem/router/WiFi device:

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Sagemcom_F@ST_3890_V3 

(did I find the right one?)

What we are asking is "Does the IP address on the Orbi WAN interface match the IP address that IP Chicken reports?"

Message 6 of 11
DinoLegs
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

When I look up the sagemcom 3890, it appears to be a modem/router/WiFi device:

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Sagemcom_F@ST_3890_V3 

(did I find the right one?)

What we are asking is "Does the IP address on the Orbi WAN interface match the IP address that IP Chicken reports?"

that is the correct modem but were can I find the orbi WAN interface?

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Use a web browser to connect to http://orbilogin.net. Log in with the admin credentials ("admin" and password) then click on the Advanced Tab. (see attached image)

Or, in the Orbi "app" click on the Home icon (upper left, little house inside a circle), Settings, Router Settings, Internet Port. It is called "External IP Address"

Message 8 of 11
DinoLegs
Aspirant

you are correct, that is an internal ip address, starts with 192.168 and everything, what do I do to correct this.

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

You have three choices:

1. Find a way to put the sagemcom into "bridge mode" so that the public IP address is passed through to the Orbi and the sagemcom stops doing any "router functions", like being a DHCP server, providing WiFi, etc.
  2. Put the Orbi into access point (AP) mode and find a way to have the sagemcom forward ports.
  3. Replace the sagemcom with a "plain modem".

#3 requires no intellectual effort on your part, but may cost money.

#2 is 'yucky'. Why learn how to manage another device?  If you can do #2, you can probably do #1.

If #3 is not convenient, then #1 is the top choice.  Maybe a call to the ISP will provide the solution.  i.e. either they put the sagemcom into bridge mode for you, or they tell you how to do it.

Otherwise, it is off to the interent to find a User Manual for the sagemcom and figure out how to put it into bridge mode.

Message 10 of 11
DinoLegs
Aspirant

thnk you, bridge mode worked wonders! 😄

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements